2nd Spraw Question? (The egg size)

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
Angel007

2nd Spraw Question? (The egg size)

Post by Angel007 »

Hello Everybody, this is my first time to this site :D

I have several questions to ask........

The 1st spraw (only 3 eggs but very big) just hatched on 25 jan 08.

then the male kicks these fries out of the cave and I kept 3 of them in the Hatchery box. Then yesterday I noticed that I found the female stay in the cave with the same male again.......(feeling so surprise for another spraw) On this morning I look in the cave agian and found only male and something at the back of the cave (I'm not sure whether it is a fish egg or not but its round & stick to the end of the cave. If my eye sight didn't wrong I can count 15 of this objects) I'm not sure that it is zebra egg or not.....because it too small (the size of the egg smaller than 1st spraw about 10 - 20 times)

My questions

1.It is impossible for them to lay egg again after the 1st spraw within a week?

2.Does Zebra pelco's egg stick with the cave?

3.Can zebra sucker's eggs small as Discus or Angel fish eggs?

4.Will the eggs develop to the bigger size?

5.If it not zebra eggs, What is is?
I have 2 Zebra Octos and 7 Zebra Suckers (2 male, 5 female) in this tank

Thank you very very much (And sorry for my poor english)

The pictures of my tanks and my Zebra and their babies

twinspots_goby
Obsessed!!

Post by twinspots_goby »

It is very possible for the female to lay eggs within a week. It actually happened to me too. However, the size of the eggs should not change at all. My guess is that those eggs are from snails. my snails sometime lay eggs in side of the cave. I hope I answered all your questions.
L46 x 24 adults + 60 fries
Zebrapl3co
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebrapl3co »

I don't think it's possible to laid eggs that soon after the first spawn. If the eggs size is significantly smaller than the first batch. Then there is definately something wrong with the female and she ejected undeveloped eggs.
I once disect a female and she have 2 different size of eggs. The first chain have about 24 developed eggs (normal size) and at the end of the 24 was another chain of undeveloped eggs that are significantly smaller. I think it takes them around 8 or 9 weeks to develope the second set, but have heard more than once that some people can have females that laid eggs every month. But one week is definately too short to laid a second batch.
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

Could it of been a second female?
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
Angel007

Post by Angel007 »

Thanks a lot for every answers.....................

The eggs that I saw is the undevelop egg like Zebrapl3co descrribed

And I found another female (notice the different from the tails marking)
She stay in the cave with that male for 3 days (today is the 3rd day), Is it ok?

Thank you again