Zebra Tankmates?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

KnaveTO
Groupie

Zebra Tankmates?

Post by KnaveTO »

I am curious what are acceptable tankmates for the Zebra pleco?

I have a 40gal breeder tank (36"x18"x15") that I will eventually be using for these plecos. Currently there are a pair of King Tigers and a Sultan in there. I do know that the Sultan will definately have to be moved out of that tank and it will be making its way to my 65long shortly. There are also some XRay Tetras, Black Neons and 3 Sewellias in there as well. There is more than adequate slate and wood in the tank and the only plants are Anubias. The substrate is Black Flourite Sand. Current filtration is a Rena XP1 and there are an additional 2 water pumps in there to keep up a high water flow. Sewellias are also a fast water fish and love the water flow in the tank right now.

I am planning on purchasing upwards to 5 of these plecos for the tank.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
KnaveTO
Groupie

Post by KnaveTO »

Any information out there? I am picking up my first of these guys (a nice healthy male) tonight hopefully and would dearly love some info.

Thanks in advance for any help you are able to offer
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

Zebras do not compete well for food. It's best to keep them as a species only tank. The tetras should be fine, since they are not really bottom dwelling/feeding fish, unlike the others.
Zebrapl3co
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebrapl3co »

I used to keep my zebras with a goldy pleco (L014) and 2 BN. They do get pushed to the end of the food chain by the L014. It doesn't help promote spawning behaviour either as well.
They do well as a specie specific tank. You can have other fish with it, but then you'll have to do separate feeding. One for the fish, and one at night only for the zebras.
IF they are small fry, they won't even come out during the day.
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

We have a shoal of pygmy corys in one tank and in the other we have 4 pristela tetras, 2 pitbull plecs and an L106 (he was only temporary but I've not got around to moving him yet)

We've not had any problems...
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]