Pulling pairs apart...?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Pulling pairs apart...?

Post by jerms55555 »

I havent posted on here for awhile...but here is my situation...
I have a 45 gal tank that holds about 9 adults . I believe there are just one breeding pair. They breed about every other month, but I want to separate the other adults and add them to other tanks to try to get other pairs. I have 2- 20 breeder tanks with 4 in each....but I see no action by them to breed, and by introducing new females/males it might spark something.

Now my question is,

1. Do I pull the pairs out and put them in their own tank?

2. Leave the pair in that tank and take the others out?

3. Just leave them alone.

I am scared by pulling them out or others out that it might mess up the chemistry! I am fine doing this and experimenting with this tank as I have few others that are breeeding regularly anyways.

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

In the wild they live in a colony not as pairs. Upsetting the group may well disrupt there regular breeding. If it was nessasary to move some out of the main tank from lack of space (not to maximise spawns) I would probably only move a trio into a new tank and see how they go. I have a large colony all living together, I am also thinking of setting up another group but would never split them into pairs of 2 I don't think it would work I may be wrong but it just seems to go against what is natural for them.
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk