Wrigglers

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

sam
Obsessed!!

Wrigglers

Post by sam »

I've just noticed that I have a wriggler outside the cave :shock: Its about 3 days old, just wondering if it has any chance of survival on its own.
It seems at the moment as if the mother is keeping a watchful eye over it. Has anyone else had any experience like this?
There are no other fish in the tank except other Zebs
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

Hi Sam,

I wouldn't want to risk to risk the little fry, i would put it in a fry trap just to be on the safe side.
Good luck:wink:
sam
Obsessed!!

Post by sam »

The mother spends most of her time guarding her youngster has anybody had an experience like this before :?:
alga
Groupie

Post by alga »

I have not had a female "tend" to a kicked out youngster, infact, my female came out, looked at it and ate it! :shock: I know everyone else says zebs don't eat zebs but my experience has been that the closer a "youngster" is to an egg the greater the chances of being eaten. In addition, when my male tends to the egss, once the fry are released with stripes the females tend to leave them alone.

Alga
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

Sam I built this trap (picture below on Johns advise) and it has just paid off big time. I put my male cave and eggs in there on Thursday when we first noticed them I now think they were spawned on Tuesday. Tonight (Saturday) after lights out I had a look in the trap and the male had kicked out 2 eggs from the cave one with the wriggler just emerged little tail wriggling and the other about to come out they are safe and sound in the trap along with the male and cave, just waiting for there siblings too emerge now. Had I not used the trap those 2 would be gone now for sure in my tank.
It is a simple construction but is somthing I will now always use already built a second one just incase.
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
sam
Obsessed!!

Post by sam »

Im going to have to let them fend for themselves as im going away for two weeks in the sun.I would love to stay in the wind and rain and look after the zebs but I have to go :lol: :lol: :lol: Thats Life.
The wriggler has found its way to the cave next to the other one and still looking good
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

You lucky sod I could do with some rays have a good time 8)
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk