Female Beating Up a Male??

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

GlockFu
Obsessed!!

Female Beating Up a Male??

Post by GlockFu »

I just finished a rainy season and started bumping up the temperature back to 86 degrees.

I woke up and saw some action in my tank. When I got a little closer I noticed it was a female beating up a male pretty hard. She had him cornered under a rock and she kept hitting him with her side fins. She was doing it so hard I could actually hear the scraping of her side fin against his body. Finally the male left after about 5 minutes.

Does this mean anything? Does anyone know why she was doing this?
John

Post by John »

Are you shure this was a female?
First thing that comes to my mind is 2 males, never seen a female attack a male, she allways backs out of a confrontation with a male.
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
GlockFu
Obsessed!!

Post by GlockFu »

Thats what I thought as well. I'm not 100% sure... but maybe 92% :D I've always assumed this one to be a female, I've had her for about 3 years and got her when she was maybe 2 years old or so. Her odinodes (sp?) are no where near like the males in the group and she is always hanging around in the tank, never really takes a cave.

I thought only males did this to each other as well. Thats why I thought it was strange. Do females ever protect the male they are interested in? This happened near another males cave. Although, this male (the one's whos cave it happend near) doesnt like to sit in the cave as much as siting ontop waving his tail in front of it. Are my zebras just weird?