100 g too big?

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

jojo4rmdabronx

100 g too big?

Post by jojo4rmdabronx »

Has anyone dealt with a 100 gallon tank setup for a zebra only tank? After a few more months of research, I am going to start setting up a breeding/show tank.

so i guess what i'm trying to ask is is a 100g effective in breeding a pair of zebs. I know theyre territorial and what not. I plan on growing the babies out in a refugium type thing within the 100g.

the reason why i want to use this is becuase i dont want to buy a smaller tank because of space issues. the only other tank i have is a 2.5.

What would you recommend a tank of this size be filtered with. How about R.O. water?

by the way, is anyone here from North Texas?
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

Depends on the dimensions. If you intend to be an L-046 only tank, then a tall tank isn't required. You can probably go with a tank with the same length and width, but just as tall.
jojo4rmdabronx

Post by jojo4rmdabronx »

but its ok for a tank to be tall right? as long as there is a good lenth and width?
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

Yeah, no prob. The mid and top portion will just look empty.
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

IMO 100 gals is way bigger than needed or practical. I would hate to have to net out the adults from that size tank and, when you get fry, that will be an even more impossible task.

I am able to keep 11 spawning adults and from 25-60 fry in my 30 breeder (36x18x13 inches). In order to move fish I have to break down the tank to the glass- even filter intakes, heaters and powerheads must be removed. These fish will hide in or behind anything they can.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

I have all my zebs in a Juwel Rio 400L. They spawn and live in there no problem and the set up looks great as a show tank in my dinning room I have 32+ zebs in there breeding adults, juveniles and some fry all living together very rarely do I see fights over territory even though there are 7 massive adult males all over 6 old years and younger ones in the colony.
The draw backs to tank size are obvious though.
It is very very hard to catch any one zeb at any time extreamly frustrating and soul destroying :lol: :lol:
It is harder to get a very powerfull directed flow over all the caves due to the space they are spread over.
The top half of the tank is a large empty space infact most of the time even with the amount of zebs I have the tank still looks empty even though they have the room they still requre the cover and hiding places they would need in a smaller tank, they love to hide all the time so you have to be creative with extra bogwood and slate to make the tank look decorative.(Most people who visit our house ask if there are any fish in that the tank)
I have got a very big super fry trap attached to the inside of my tank this is a recent addition posted it in DIY section but does allow me to move the males cave eggs and all into a separate enclosed filtered area of the tank. I now no longer have to do a fry chase. If you are going to use a massive tank for breeding & show this is one thing I can strongly recommend.
I have thought many times about using a smaller tank but my zebs have been living and breeding happily in this one for years and it would mean me splitting the colony completely.
Hope this helps
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
KenW
Obsessed!!

Post by KenW »

If you're only planning to get a single pair, I think a 100gallon is way bigger than what is needed. If you already have a 100 gallon then use it otherwise I would get 2 29gallons or a 40gallon breeder tank and a 20gallon. one tank used for the breeding pair and the other for growing out babies later.
This would be the same length as a 5ft 100g.