Have a adult male with young zebs at 1½ year ?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Edlund

Have a adult male with young zebs at 1½ year ?

Post by Edlund »

is that ok ?
Edlund

Post by Edlund »

MANY HAVE LOOKED BUT NO REPLAYS!?
alga
Groupie

Post by alga »

I have been told in the past that zebra's do not eat zebra's, so I'm sure it will be fine.
Edlund

Post by Edlund »

alga wrote:I have been told in the past that zebra's do not eat zebra's, so I'm sure it will be fine.
Tnx for the reply but the zebs its not that small. they are around 6cm. this male is more like 8-9cm.
alga
Groupie

Post by alga »

Since the young are pretty good size and the difference in size on average looks to be about an inch (2.54 cm) I still think it would be fine and in fact I have a similar set up here at the house, but mine is an adult pair and some younger fish. Hope that helps...
Edlund

Post by Edlund »

alga wrote:Since the young are pretty good size and the difference in size on average looks to be about an inch (2.54 cm) I still think it would be fine and in fact I have a similar set up here at the house, but mine is an adult pair and some younger fish. Hope that helps...
Ok thanks.I was more little scared that the big male would fight or lock a smaller male in a cave and kill him.
Line
Groupie

Post by Line »

Hello

I only see a problem if a young pair match, and the older male attacks the younger male.

If the females prefer the older male - everything would be fine.

I cant say it for sure (I also have an old "problem" male, who no female like at all - poor guy, and have seen before that he attacked other males, but only when they where spawning).

I think pairs of egual size / age often match better.

Best regards
Line
Alistair
Obsessed!!

Post by Alistair »

I have had an old male (~14years old now) with three youngsters (almost two years old) for nearly eighteen months now with no problems. The juveniles where 6 months old when they went in the tank with the male (who had been on his own for many years) and they just learned to stay out of his way. The set up is a 24" cube with lots of caves, rocks and wood so that probably helped keep things calm. Over the last two months one of the juveniles has been hanging around a favourite cave of the male, one fish has claimed his own cave and the other moves randomly around the tank and hasn't settled to one spot yet.

Al.C
Edlund

Post by Edlund »

Thanks för all replys.I havent see any aggressive behaviour and none damages youngster yet sp i let i be ftm.