My grow out tank

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Edlund

My grow out tank

Post by Edlund »

I made this tank today.For hiding place its pipes at 20mm dimension.THe tank is bare bottom and gonna have all kinds of hypancitrus in there

the size is 222 liters

Line
Groupie

Post by Line »

Hello

A good friend of mine has made e x a c t l y the same pipes.
He even claim - they grow better - since everybody has their own place.
No stress => and they can use all their energy for growing.

I don't really agree with this - because when I f.ex. see zebra youngsters, they always squeeze together. I think this a natural behaviour, and then we should allow it. Because if it's a natural behaviour, they feel secure and have less stress, or? But this a my personal opinion.

As to the setup... well .. I would say, they need good hides, where they can eat and hide at the same time.
And move safely from one hide to another.

It is not that easy to find the right setup: lot of hides but still easy to clean, lot of oxygene and current, but also calm places where they can eat and so on...

Best regards
Line
John

Post by John »

Line wrote:A good friend of mine has made e x a c t l y the same pipes.
Your friend must be ralf then :lol:
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
Line
Groupie

Post by Line »

Nope, it isn't Ralf :lol:

Best regards
Line
Edlund

Post by Edlund »

Going to get some peaces of boogwood there.Thanks for yuor help Line ;)
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I agree with Line. The younger the zebra, the more they seem to keep together. However, at some point a few will start to break away from the main group and try to claim a more solitary spot. I think the key is to have places where the smallest zebras can fit but the larger ones cant.

I think it is easy to create an aquascape that provides tons of cover, lots of current plus some calmer spots. However, I don't think it is possble to do so in a way that is also easy to clean. These two goals simply are not compatible.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Line
Groupie

Post by Line »

These two goals simply are not compatible.
Well.... it just takes a little time to make. I use the current as third parameter. Lots of hides and driftwood and a fine current. After a while you'll see, where the calm places are. Here it simply has to be possible to clean up, because the food ends up here everytime.

And as fourth parameter: s n a i l s :) Melanoides Tuberculata and sandbottom.

Best regards
Line