Zebra Fry Runt?

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
Pleco-Fan

Zebra Fry Runt?

Post by Pleco-Fan »

hi guys,

my latest batch of fry are doing well but iv noticed 1 is smaller than the others and looks very thin... all the others eat like pigs and when i feed them you can see their little bellies are round and full but this one never looks full. they are about 3 and a half weeks since they hatched. is the little one just a runt? or should i be worried he isnt eating? if so does anyone have any advice they can give me? they are getting fed on zm200 and zm300.

thanks.

PF
PLECO LIST:

L046
L134
L262
L174
L191
L273
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

It could be that it is just the runt of the litter as you noted. I have found there is always one with most spawns, not just zebs. I tend to keep the runts for myself. As I move its brood mates to new owners, the runt often suddenly comes into its own since the competition is gone. However, it is also possible that it is just genetically/congenitally weak and wont make it longer term.

I doubt it is sick since nothing else in the tank is. But that does not mean it isn't. I am reluctant to treat a fry tank with meds unless there is no other choice and the need is clearly obvious.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.