A nervous beginning

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Small.Fry

A nervous beginning

Post by Small.Fry »

Hi

I have been visiting this forum for a while and have learnt so much through the experience of the member’s posts, however still nervous to have them in my care.

My friend brought them in. A total of 19 and as far as I know these are the first in SA.
Hopefully, I can grow them out and maybe breed them. I would love to have a tank full of them…lol
I have such a nice biotope tank set up (which I was ageing out side) for them but when collecting my 4 at the airport and realizing that my sense of sizing had let me down I thought it not to be a good idea, so I put them in with my fry, this way I can watch them better and a little more in control as they grow.

In here they where already lost…lol after I drip them in I never saw them for a least an hour as they were hiding behind the sponge filter

when they came out I was ready for them…lol …all 2cm of them

Kind regards
Peter
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Congratulations, let us know how they settle in.

You'll definitely be popular in SA now as I've spoken to a few people there who are looking for them :D

Plastic Mac
civicr
Obsessed!!

zeb

Post by civicr »

well done :)
i remember when my zebs were that size i forgot how tiny they actually wwere
Small.Fry

Post by Small.Fry »

They are so small but perfect in every way…lol,

I am concerned on day 2 however, I’m not familiar with their behaviour patterns yet, I have not seen them pass any waste or seen any in the tank, also I haven’t seen them eat…hoping it’s part of the “settling” in?

I have angled the inlet tap to redirect the water flow in their direction and they seem to enjoy this. They are close together in this current nudging and shoving. During feeding time for the fry I close the tap allowing the food to be accessible (not fast food), their daily diet consists of finely crushed flake/granular, shaved B/H, live baby daphnia/mosquito larvae and de-capsulated B/S eggs, which is the last meal of the day and I leave this over night and clean in the morning. I hope they take a liking to some of this food? Tomorrow (day 3) I will put in some lettuce, close to where they hang out.
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

Hi
They are so so cute you seem to be having fun with them which is what it is all about. Given time and your care they will all grow into stunning adults.
Good luck
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
Small.Fry

Post by Small.Fry »

They are sooooo… cool, (something the wife will never, never…never understand... :lol: ). They are settling quite nicely now, the tank bottom is basically clean in the mornings, which is a great sign (didn’t touch the lettuce). I caught them sneaking out for an afternoon snack (daphnia time) and when they saw me they dashed for cover…are they fast (scattering fry in their way) … wow.
Small.Fry

Post by Small.Fry »

They are sooooo… cool, (something the wife will never, never…never understand... :lol: ). They are settling quite nicely now, the tank bottom is basically clean in the mornings, which is a great sign (didn’t touch the lettuce). I caught them sneaking out for an afternoon snack (daphnia time) and when they saw me they dashed for cover…are they fast (scattering fry in their way) … wow.
Rowland
Forum Follower

Post by Rowland »

Hey Pete

Glad your guys are doing so well. Mine are looking good too...when I see them. You are feeding a lot more than me, I think I need to up mine. Also interesting to see you are feeding live daphnia, will definately try that. Anyone with some perfect recipes for little L046??
Small.Fry

Post by Small.Fry »

Hi Rowland

So glad you joined in….they’re doing great, they only grab the daphnia once they are on the bottom and can’t escape… :lol: , still working out what food the prefer from the menu. Speaking of recipes, I was wondering if food that contains Astaxanthin may turn them pink???

And thank you again for bringing in these little guys :yahooscream: