The best way to stock

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Jamie @ SVAS
Forum Follower

The best way to stock

Post by Jamie @ SVAS »

I am not after any yet i have a ton more reading to do, but in a few months time when the fish house is complete i would like to start to get some zebras for a breeding project. My question is what is the best method of buying is it to purchase young from a number of breeders all young from one breeder or trying to buy an established group and lastly purchase what ever i can from flee bay sorry eBay Razz

I understand if going for thge young then it makes sense to purchase from as many breeders as possible what are the "rules" around here for fry disposal is there an approved waiting list or is it dropping on lucky at the time.
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

A lot of the answer is directly related to the balance in your checking account. Fry, running from 1-1.5 inch are the easiest to find and run from $125-$200 each depending on the source.

Adults of spawning age/size will run about $300 or more depending on the sex. A larger group of these would be very difficult to find.

Proven breeders are about easy to find as hair on a frog and can start at about $500 and up each.

My fry come from several different males and females which all breed in the same tank. When I do sell I try to go for an assortment based on size as that means they should have come from multiple parents. If you go the fry route, it can never hurt to get them from multiple sources.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.