get rid of snails

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

chanettt
Obsessed!!

get rid of snails

Post by chanettt »

there are almost a hundred snail in my tank. i try to pick them out of the tank by hand but there is still little one left. they grow very fast and the number increase to be around a hundered again for a couple weeks later.
so how to get rid of it then? is anyone ever use the chemical to kill these snail with no harm to the zebs?
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I would not risk using a snailicide in a tank with zebs. I have the same problem in my breeder tank and in one growout tank. The snails came with the zebras on the decor and prefilters I got with them. The snails are unsightly but don't seem to have any effect on the tank or the fish.

I remove 150-200 snails a week from the two tanks- I just syphon them out when I am doing the tank vac.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
John

Post by John »

Same here, also loads of snails and i also syphon them out when i clean the tank, they don't do any harm so why risk your zebs with chemicals?
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
chanettt
Obsessed!!

Post by chanettt »

i try to syphon them out too but not enough power and many of the snails are too heavy already. picking up by hand seems to make the zebra panic and now i am trying to breed them. i don't want to disturb them as i learn that they are very hard to settle.
davo
Groupie

Post by davo »

Hi Chanettt

Try using a bigger diameter tube.

I use 16mm sucks every thing up :twisted:

Regards
Davo
chanettt
Obsessed!!

Post by chanettt »

thank you all for the suggestions :D
Adam

Post by Adam »

You could also try using a snail trap, I used one recently in a tank that was infested with snails. After about a weeks use the snail population was greatly reduced.

Here's the one that I used but there are other types available.

http://www.aquaristikshop.com/e_Produkt ... ollect.htm

Adam
chanettt
Obsessed!!

Post by chanettt »

thank you Adam, i guess i have to order from internet because i don't think anyone here import this porduct in yet. :?