Reddish tint in pectoral fin

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

McEve
Hypan-guru!

Reddish tint in pectoral fin

Post by McEve »

I just noticed one of my males have a red/reddish tint on the outer half of his leading ray on the pectoral fin.

I seem to remember I read somewhere this is a cause for concern..? What was that again..?

This is not the recently aquired male.
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

Wow, that guy looks huge!;) Popeye the Sailor Forearms!
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

It's a sign they've been fighting, IMO. Did you change the hierarchy in their tank recently? Add or remove any fish?

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

yupp - the new male I found is in that tank. You think that's all to it? If that's the case I'll lower my shoulders about 2 feet from now on :lol: My shoulders are starting to hurt my ears quite a lot....

Those are the only two males in the tank, together with two females.
hamish99
Obsessed!!

Post by hamish99 »

what are the dimensions of the cave coz it looks very snug?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

The opening is about 4cmx4cm. There are other larger caves available, so I guess he prefers the snug one - depending on if his red fins are a result of fighting or not - and if he was the winner or not. Still, there are others larger ones free for the taking.

Ed - had to laugh about the popeye the sailor forearms :lol: He's not the biggest one in the tank though :)

Does anybody else have an opinion about why his pectorials are reddened?
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi McEve

Definately fighting, as far as I am aware. the introduction of the new male would have given the alpha male a chance to prove his "masculinity", what are the pectorial fins like opn the other new male?

The chances are he will have reddeding, or some slight abrasion to the stripes.

Keep an eye on them and they should settle down. Is there anywhere that the other male can form a territory out of sight from the alpha?

Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Thanks Rob

Yes, he's in a cave on the very far end of the tank, a cave facing in towards the opposite corner - they couldn't be further from eachother. He looks just fine though. No damage and no reddening to the fins.

I'm relieved to get a second person saying it's due to fighting. I have been expecting a territorial fight between them as they are approximately the same size, (new one a bit larger) and the new one did look like he was one that would try to claim ownership. I haven't seen any fighting between them though, but they would do that during the night I expect, like the ones in Sharkos tank did.

That's why I gathered up all the fry before letting the new male in the tank, to make sure they didn't get stuck in the middle so to speak.

I suspect it might not be over yet, but they'll sort it out. The tank should have room enough for both of them, considering how it's aquascaped and the size of it.

Thanks again
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi McEve,
If you have a cave with the opening 4 x 4 cm, that must be a pretty large male in there.
My "small caves " opening measure 2.2cm high and 3.2 cm wide. This was the cave used for my first spawn, even though larger caves were available.
Regards,
Des.
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

Maybe he's Bluto or Vrutus instead of Popeye?
I still can't get mine to eat. I mean, they aren't eating like normal fish, I never see them eat. They aren't gaining any eight or growing perceptiually.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Well, I didn't put a ruler in the tank to get the exact mesurments, Holding a ruler up to the glass and trying to compensate for the distance to the cave so forrt it looked 4 cm, but it's probably 3 8) He is a broad shouldered hunk though :wink: And looking much better today too! No trace of the red at all.

I think they learn from eachother how shy or outgoing they should be Ed_R... in the tank where I have the web cam I always see at least 2 of them at any given time, and at feeding time they come one by one out in the open to eat.

In the other tank I haven't seen any of them eat, and they are hiding throughout the day. I could see them coming out about half an hour after all lights were out when I had the IR camera in that tank, so I know they do move thanks to that camera.

If they aren't thin, and the food is gone the next morning surely they would get enough to eat though? :)
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

Sadly, the food's not gone. IT's almost always uneaten except by the three mollie fry that are in the tank. I do water changes every other day so it doesn't build up but still.
On the other hand, the mollie fry are getting fat and huge.
;)
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Are the Zebras thin?
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

Nope, but they are by no means fat either.
Tom2600
Obsessed!!

Post by Tom2600 »

What are you feeding exactly? How long have you had them?

Quality frozen bloodworm should get them feeding no problems, if not it could be something internal that needs treating, such as worms.

Cheers

Tom