Vacation

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

John

Vacation

Post by John »

I got some wigglers in a cave with dad, they hatched last saturday.
Untill now i used to take them out of the cave around the time the yolksack was consumed.
Now i am planning to go on vacation in 4 weeks so i can't take care of a breedertank.
I allways put a autofeeder with granularfood on while on holiday, would this be sufficient for the little ones?
BTW this is also a opportunity for me to see how well the little ones do if left in the tank with the parents...

All tips, tricks and advice are welcome
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
bonsai
Obsessed!!

Post by bonsai »

Hiya John, why don't you ask a friend to feed the little guys?
These are beautiful little babes!
John

Post by John »

Not an option , it's to much to ask of someone to drive 70km every day for 17 days to feed your fish :lol:
Greetings,
John
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

This is a tricky one John.... one week shouldn't be a problem, but 4 takes a bit more planning, and luck, as I see it :?

I have an auto feeder from Eheim which I used for a couple of weeks, after which disaster struck. it gave out just that little bit too much food, and suddenly there was a need for a major cleanup. And with small fry, you'd need water changes too...

I gather it's a well established tank? Big tank? Would there be enough biological material in the tank to keep the fry alive for 4 weeks? Maybe set the feeder on giving a very small amount every three days min?

I'm not sure if I'm more worried about water pollution or fry starving :iwonder:

I'm not too much help here... I think you'll just have to cancel your vacation :lol:

If it was my fry, in my tank, I think I would have set the feeder to give a tiny amount every three days, and hope for the best...

What do you others think?
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi

Post by dave »

I wouldn't feed at all for risk of pollution, losing the fry is one thing, the adults another.

In saying the above if you have experience with an auto feeder and it hasn't polluted the tank in the past, why should it this time?

Take care

Dave
John

Post by John »

McEve wrote:I'm not too much help here... I think you'll just have to cancel your vacation :lol:
I can't it's my honeymoon... :wink:

dave wrote:In saying the above if you have experience with an auto feeder and it hasn't polluted the tank in the past, why should it this time?

I was wondering if the fry which will be about 5 weeks old by then would feed on the granular food and survive for the 17 days that i'll be gone....
Greetings,
John
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi

Post by dave »

Hi John

I remove the eggs at about 5 days, then put them back with the adults at 14 days.

They eat the same food as the adults then.

Avoid Tetra Prima and Bloodworm at this stage.

I use crushed Tetra Doromin.

Take care

Dave
bonsai
Obsessed!!

Post by bonsai »

Oh.john. You never said anything about your honeymoon, Congrats to you and your future wife :aw: Hope she knows what she's getting herself into :lol:
John

Post by John »

bonsai wrote:Hope she knows what she's getting herself into :lol:
I think she does after living together for 10 years :wink:
Greetings,
John
bonsai
Obsessed!!

Post by bonsai »

What took you so long to ask her :roll:
John

Re: Hi

Post by John »

dave wrote:Hi John

I remove the eggs at about 5 days, then put them back with the adults at 14 days.

They eat the same food as the adults then.

Avoid Tetra Prima and Bloodworm at this stage.

I use crushed Tetra Doromin.

Take care

Dave
Dave,

Is that 5 days after spawning or hatching? you say eggs so i presume it's spawning.
So 14 days would be around when the yolsack is consumed...
I wonder why you put them back at this moment?
Greetings,
John
Caesars
Obsessed!!

Post by Caesars »

We have had 6 spawns up to now and the 3 remained in the main tank (250 lit) with the adults (not just the parents but the whole colony), the rest were removed. We normally can't see the fry (they are unbelievably fast) - except if we tiptoe near the tank after lights out with a torch - and then only if we are lucky. We have started wondering if any of them survived at all - and if so how many.

Two days ago, during a water change, we found one in the bucket we used to move one of the pumps out to clean it. He is a very lively and plumb little fellow - which means they can survive fine with the adults.

We feed the adults as normal but add 10-12 granules of Protogen (dried insuforia) in for the fry twice a week - also some high protein granular food, ground in a pepper grinder on a daily basis.

We placed the little fellow in a breeder and gave him the same food (Protogen and ground food) - he was only too quick to start munching.

Having seen first hand the speed of these fry, we seriously doubt if any of the adults can catch them to hurt them - they shoot off faster than lightening and if there are enough hiding places in the tank (small cracks etc) they should be fine. At the end of the day that's how they survive in nature. Having said this, not every fry manages to survive in nature - and at this time we can't confirm how many have made it in the main tank (that's the only drawback with leaving them there - you can't see all of them often enough to confirm they are ok). It'd be interesting to hear what other people think on this - or what they have witnessed.

Question: How do you remove the fry once they have consumed their yolk sac? Ours are experts at holding on to the walls of the father's cave by then and dad won't bulge an inch from the entrance of the cave - which makes things even worse!

Below a couple of the very rare piccies from our youngsters in the adult tank. Relative sizes are scary ... Enjoy!

Caesars and Polleni
Last edited by Caesars on Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi again

Post by dave »

Hi John

Your correct, the eggs are placed in a breeding trap at 5 days at the latest.

My reason for placing back in the tank with the adults, sometimes 14 days, sometimes 16 days this is not too exact.

I used to move young fish to a growing on tank, but no tank space so put them with the adults when I got another brood.

It soon became apparent that the rate of growth of young fish kept with adults is far greater, so I stuck with this method.

Suppose you are going to ask why remove the eggs at 5 days. 4.5 days to be exact, this is the point when the egg ball starts to break up.

Here again another accident, an egg ball was evicted at 4 days, placed in a breeding trap, I raised 19 fry from this ball.

And finally why no fungus? I can only put it to having tanks full of Mopani Wood which I have read has a natural antiseptic, well the tanins it leaches are.

As for fish being evicted because they are unwell, I don't hold with it.

If I am exact with my timing I have had 2 broods of 13 and 1 of 15 as well.

Take care

Dave
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

John wrote:
McEve wrote:I'm not too much help here... I think you'll just have to cancel your vacation :lol:
I can't it's my honeymoon... :wink:
Congratulations!! :aok: :tup: We need a pic of the happy couple in "who are you" ;)
GlockFu
Obsessed!!

Post by GlockFu »

CONGRATS!

Although I have only had one spawn due to my breeding male being killed by the other male in the tank shortly after his spawn, I think that the fry do fine by themselves.

When I had my spawn it was one of those times where I didnt pay any attention to the tank and just fed them... I didnt even know I had a spawn till I would say a few weeks or maybe a month later judging by their size. I didn't feed the tank anything different, just kept feeding whole sinking carnivor pellets and now the youngsters are about 2 years old! They did just fine with the other adults and with eating their food as well.

Im not saying this is the best way to raise them... but I think it works