Smallest Zeb acting funny

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Lucy wrote:It's quite a small tank, just a 2' x 1' x1',
How many liters is that? (I look forward to the day when we all use the same system for measurments, must admit I get lost in translation sometimes :lol:) Remember it's easier to keep a larger tank clean, even though the fry are so small they might not need much space.

You can upload a picture of the tank to the gallery, you have your own personal album there 8)

Good news about Tiny hiding, keep the water clean and well oxygenated and he just might make it :)

Did you check the water parameters in the tank where the group is? usually only older Zebras damage eachother in fights over territories... Before they are sexually mature they tend to stick together.
Lucy
Groupie

Post by Lucy »

Ok - this is the tank at the moment. There are 3 'made' caves, one crevice cave from piled rock (on right), crevices under the white rock (back right), crevices between the caves with the slate on top & hidey holes under the bog wood. It's approx 55litres capacity.

Lucy<><

I hope the photo shows ok :oops:
Lucy
Groupie

Post by Lucy »

And from a different angle
Andrew C
Obsessed!!

Post by Andrew C »

Hello Lucy
Sorry to hear about Tiny.

Just an idea, but could you not keep the adult zebras in the tank they are currently in, and then keep the younger zebras in the new tank you are setting up.
Keeping the young zebras seperate in a growing on tank, will let you feed them more, a small amount three times a day is good.
Then to keep nitrate levels down, you will need to do daily water changes on the tank, plus fresh water daily will help them grow.

Young zebras are a lot more sensitive than adults, and until they are fully devolped, they will always be harder to keep, and need more looking after than the adults.
Lucy
Groupie

Post by Lucy »

Andrew
Yes that's my intention. I need to cycle another tank as I couldn't resist the c.davidsandsi in Coral Reef & they're currently in the 'new' zeb tank!!

I've found some lovely black sand - though now it's in the water it look grey - very pretty. I was thinking of putting this in the 'new' tank with the younger ones - do you think they're old enough at 7-9mths to cope with sand?
I'd put it in the adult tank but if (with a bit of luck :wink: ) they decide to breed I presume I'd have to remove it again?

By the way the rams are stunning - many thanks!! :D

Lucy <><
Andrew C
Obsessed!!

Post by Andrew C »

Sand is fine for the young ones, i put three week old zebras into a tank with a thin layer of sand in it.
Keep the sand thinly spread, even if it becomes patchy in bits, then you won't have the problems of anaerobic pockets in the sand.

You don't need to remove the sand if your adults breed, just hover up any debris when you see it (poo, uneaten food, etc), and when doing a water change run your fingers through the sand, that will make sure there are no anaerobic pockets in the sand.

New Corys :roll: , you'll get banned from the fish stores !

Right enough, i'm getting some young Corydoras aeneus "Black" and a pair of Apistogramma bitaeniata this week :P
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

how's Tiny doing Lucy?