Eggs laid !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Eggs laid !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Stevie.K »

Did a cold water change this morning, just checked on the zebs this evening to find an egg kicked out the cave :lol:

Male still in there with 2 more that i can see.

Eggs are behind the male so don't know if he will look after them ?

Should i put the egg back in the cave or place it in a breeding trap ?

If in a breeding trap is a trumpet snail ok to put in with it ?

Had looked at the fish a few times today & only saw the female go in the cave for a few seconds & then back out again.

Don't know if the eggs are fertilised or not but i am over the moon knowing i have definitely got a female and lots of interest in the tank :yahooscream:

Shall post some pics of my fish soon as have never put any pics on this site !

Steve
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Congratulations!! I'm so happy for you :D

The one egg can be put in a breeding trap, I've never tried trumpet snails as cleaners, but rather the small blaack ones. I can't see thata it should harm trying a small trumpet? Others may have tried it?

Like you say, even if the eggs aren't fertilized, crossing fingers they are!, now you know you have compatible females and males and are on your way to succesful breeding!

:aok:
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

Congratulations :)

Definatly put it in a trap - the last thing you want to do is piss off dad :D

I've tried MTS - but lost a spawn to fungus
but 1 egg is different hopefully a couple of mts will keep it clean ;)
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

The male had kicked out the other two eggs later last night, so placed these in the breeding trap.

But these had all turned white by tonight, the trumpet snails didn't seem to have touched the eggs.

This is what i expected to happen so not too dismayed, was happy just to see some eggs!

Better luck next time i hope.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

the male will often kick out eggs that are no good. other times it can be an accident, but tilting the cave a bit back can prevent these accidents :)

it does sound like the two you found were unfertilized though. but once they've started, there's no stopping them you know ;)
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

That sounds good to me :shock: