How to defend yourself????

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

How to defend yourself????

Post by jerms55555 »

I want to know what others here say to their significant others about our crazy obession with fish or this whole aquatic thing.'
Everytime I go home from work, of course I have to check the tanks to see if things are all right, feed them, not more than 15min a day.........but my girl just goes crazy, fish this, fish that, I'm like shut the bloody hell up!!!!! :evil:
She accusses me of walking right pass her straight to the fish tanks...........yea i guess shes right...... :lol: I told her, " grow some stripes and start sucking like a pleco and maybe I will go see you first" :roll: Looking back it sounds pretty bad...... :lol:
Anyways, its not that bad but was interested if others have the same problem and is there a counseling program.... :wink:
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

My "other half" has the odd moan now and again but all n all she is resigned to the fact she resides with a fish geek!! :lol:
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

HEy this hobby's cheap, keeps you out of hte pubs, and you just can't get into much trouble with it. If a guy's gonna have a hobby, he coudl do a WHOLE lot worse than fishtanks.
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

Now thats what Im talkin About, Ed_R..............Im telling her that next time!!!!!!!
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

That'll cost you one full adult male L046.;)
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

And again I say, I'm SOOOO lucky to have Bob ;). He not only just looks at me occasionally like I've lost my mind, but also is capable of all forms of tank maintenance, including being trusted to feed and do water changes. I'm the luckiest woman alive! :lol:

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
andyj
Groupie

Post by andyj »

My other half has the old moan.. "I come second to your bloomin' fish"....

Just wish she was like my mates missus, and enjoyed the hobby as much as she does !!!! ;)
andyj
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Must admit, my wife is pretty accepting with it all. Like babrie, I'm rather lucky. Alhtough I do get the "you go straight to your tanks" when I return home from working away. This I feel is justified, as when I walk in the door I can see the wife is there, now time to check the tanks are!!! :wink: :twisted:

I can't complain, 5 yeasr ago she said the 4 footer was the last, and only tank. Now I have 7 in total!!!! I think she just likes to make me work for it!!!

Anway, the tables have turned this morning. Jen had several fish in the community tank, and her albino cories spawned the other day, they have just hatched, so hopefully she will catch the bug!!!! I'm already telling her wew will need "another" tank, otherwise we might need to feed them to the discus. :wink: :twisted: :twisted:

Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

I tried to get my GF to get a fish tanks and she fell in in love with some puffers and has a couple in her hall, but she is not that commite to them, damn :!: . I did however get her to watch me strip some Malawis of thier fry - she found it fascinating and sort of got into them for a few minutes. I think that htere lies the key - make it interesting for them. A fish to us is a thing to look at, to others it is something that swims around and nothing more. :?

My work colleague loves carp fishing and regularly spends the weekend fishing overnight -the lot.I explain in a cool calm manor that i only spend a short time every day keeping the fish and that i spend all my weekends with her. What she doesnt realise is that i have got her into golf so we spend all weekend playing golf/visiting fish shops :) - I am sure that she will cotton on soon and it will all come to an end. -Me having my own way all the time.

I was speaking to a guy on the British Cichlid Assoc and he said that his wife left him because of his fish commitments - ah well, he is still happy as he has his fish - htere is more to life than women :shock: - only joking, but I wouldn't be without my fish :twisted:

Sorry, rambling now
:D
L046, L033, L117, L200, L027, L014, Discus, & malawis
Adam

Post by Adam »

On the whole my Mrs is pretty accepting of my obsession, I'm afraid it's well beyond being a hobby now. I managed to squeeze a 3ft hospital/quarantine tank in the house this week with absolutely no complaints. I even rearranged the furniture and still had no complaints. Perhaps she is bottling it all up and some time soon I'll get a real ear bashing. I've also met with no resistance on the purchase of my 5ft Rena tank last month :? .

Luckily she really likes the zebras and has no problems so long as I limit my efforts to them. It's when I talk about getting other types of fish that I get shot down, she has a point I should really concentrate my efforts on the zebras but I can't help myself :lol: .

I too have used the argument that goes " Just imagine the mischief I could be getting into with my mates If I didn't keep fish." She does think that I have a valid point, little does she know that I'm planning to automate the water changes. :wink:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I'm also one of those that have a very understanding hubby :D He's helping me with the water changes and have readily accepted 6 tanks in our house. He likes the Zebra almost as much as I do, and are very proud of the babies, even though his favourite are the Snowballs. He's looking forward to the day when we get Snowball babies, but I haven't told him that nobody has bred them yet....

He always comes with me to the LFS when I need to buy something, or just hunting for that special fish, but that *might* be because he wants to make sure I don't go overboard :lol:

I don't have that many other vices, so I guess it's not to hard to indulge my interest in fish :wink:

It would be unbearable having a hubby that constantly nagged me about the hobby though, I'm very grateful he's not like that :)
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

McEve wrote:It would be unbearable having a hubby that constantly nagged me about the hobby though, I'm very grateful he's not like that :)
I think you'd just drown them in the tank, liquify them and use them as a high protein supplement for the fry - :oops: oops, did i say that out loud :?: :twisted:
L046, L033, L117, L200, L027, L014, Discus, & malawis
wandj
Obsessed!!

Post by wandj »

I have my fish and my boyfriend has his hobbies. He likes Mopars, hockey, collecting stuff, etc. BORING to me. But we understand each other. I don't want to hear about hockey, etc and he doesn't want to hear about my fish.
He doesn't mind the fish, but he will not take part in them in any way. The only thing he does not like sometimes is that he says I have too much "clutter" of my fish gear lying around. I work a lot of hours, so I do try to put my stuff away....but then it appears again.
He's not too bad. But there is no way he will ever help me do a water change, etc. Maybe if I had to go somewhere, I might be able to leave precise instructions and he might feed them. I would have to make it very simple for him.