RO water and spawningtips

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
gugge
Groupie

RO water and spawningtips

Post by gugge »

After having served some delux food to my zebras I ám reday to add RO water. My water has a conductivity of 280uS and I´m aming to get it down to at least 180uS to trigger a spawn!

I have a 140liters aquarium for them and changes 50% of the water 2 times a week, how mutch RO water should i replace it with? i know the curve isn´t linear when dealing with RO and tappwater...

I have a turnover of 13x the watervolume now, but i can easely turn it up to 22x the volume, how mucth circulation do you have in your zebratanks?

In the weekend I´m going to move what I think is a female to this tank(i have 2 tanks with zebras) BUT! if it is not a female - how fast can I expect them to start fighting? if it is a male(witch i´m hoping not) i can risk loosing my 2 biggest males if they start to fight to mutch....

Sorry for the poor english...
Vist our Scandinavian Catfish place!
Guardians of Catfish - www.goc.se
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

You won't get a full fight between a female and a male :)

If you are in sweden then I don't think your water is hard enough having to add RO water? Unless you've got well water? I think I'd go for lowering the PH and temp. And... having the highest possible turnover rate isn't in my experience the most important thing, WELL oxygenated water is more important.

Cold water changes 24C, letting it warm up to up to 32C usually does the trick.

Personally I have Eheim 2128 pro II Termofilter in 120 L tanks with a diffusor, and that seems to be enough oxygenation at 30C.

The article http://www.zebrapleco.com/article2.php might be of some help.

Welcome to the forum too! :D
gugge
Groupie

Post by gugge »

I hope thats the case, i will take pictures of at least the one i´m moving so I can get a second opinion too :) In the tank i´m moving it to there already is 1 female and 2 males. I have an additional 5 that i acqired recently but these i haven´t sexed properly yet - exept this one that i think is a female, but it can be a fat male to ;) but since this group has spawned before there at least is some females in it!

No, tecnically i wouldent need to add RO water, I used it when i tried to make L134 spawn and since i allreday have it i thougt i would use it to "simulate" the rain period a littelbit more! it often does the trick on other catfish i have breed. It is 29C in the tank now, it would feel a lot better to add an diffusor before I turn the heat up a little bit more since it is so close to the critical temperatur that the oxyine level drops..

Thanku for the link :) it is alway nice to read about others spawn and expeience of spawning catfihses :)
Vist our Scandinavian Catfish place!
Guardians of Catfish - www.goc.se