lump on body

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

du ma
Obsessed!!

lump on body

Post by du ma »

should i do what adam did??

its currently eatting well and doing fine.

should i remove it? or leave as it is?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I'm not the most qualified person to answer this really, but if it was my fish I would leave it as long as it doesn't seem to bother the fish. In Adams case the fish was obiously suffering from it, so he probably saved the fish's life by removing the lump.

But there's always the risk of infections after an operation like that, so weighing to pros and cons... I would leave it if it doesn't seem to bother the fish.

What do you other people think?
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Du ma,

I wouldn't worry too much about the growth as it is different in appearance to the one that my zebra had. The growth on my zebra was
pinkish white and obviously growing and as I eventually found out invasive. When I eventually removed it I had to amputate part of the pectoral fin due to the damage it had done, as I said in my other post the leading ray of the pectoral fin is slowly growing back. I suspect that it will never regrow fully, but the main thing is that I'm convinced the zebra would have died had it not been removed. It had stopped feeding, become emaciated and was showing a very noticable increase in breathing rate.

In my opinion the growth on your zebra appears to be benign. The reason I say this is that it doesn't display any reddening which would have suggested an immune response from the fish, If this were the case then I would have been inclined to say that the growth would more than likely be invasive.

However you should watch out for any changes in the appearance and or texture of the growth. You should particularly look for any change in colour. My comments are based on my own personal experiences with abnormal growths in fish that I have encountered over the years.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

The female L333 I was forced to remove a portion of her pectoral fin on due to the growth is the one that just spawned. It was definitely a completely different type of growth. I would say that looks like an encysted parasite of some sort, personally. Cutting it out would risk the abdomenal wall. I wouldn't try that one for all the tea in china, personally.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
du ma
Obsessed!!

Post by du ma »

alright ill just leave it as is.

thankyou for your opinions.
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi du ma,
Rather than remove the growth,or dose the tank with medication, I would dab some bacteria/ulcer medication on the growth using a small brush, once daily for approx 3 days.
Regards,
Des.