Discus Probs

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
adrianhaslett
Groupie

Discus Probs

Post by adrianhaslett »

I have 6 discus, 4 are Blue and 2 are brown the 2 brown ones have gone very dark almost black and from having discus before I know they very rairly repair themselves after going dark but I have no idea what has caised this all the other discus are fine. It's just the brown ones about a week ago it was one hiding in the corner and going black and know the other brown one is doing the same thing. Advise needed please. I think my options are give them to a shop who might have better luck or humanly kill them as they could cause the other discus to get stressed i've had this before.

PH 7.0
KH 3-4
GH 4
Temp 84-86
discusbabe
Obsessed!!

Post by discusbabe »

Are any of the fish new to the tank? If so were they q'd? Are they eating? Is there any bullying? Are their poos white and stringy?

Tell us about their general behaviour and I'll try and help, do you have a hospital tank available?
adrianhaslett
Groupie

Post by adrianhaslett »

the 4 blue discus have been in there about 4 mnths and the 2 brown about 2 mnths. THe 2 brown were coming out to eat but know they only eat if the food falls in front of them. There are no stringy stuff that i've noticed but one is a black as spades and the other going that way. The 4 blue discus are fine and bright. I feed them on bloodworm, brine shrimp tetra prima and flake. Water changes are 2 times a week using 3/4 ro to 1/4 tap. 20 gallons at a time twice a week.

I thought I was having good luck with them after using ro but the brown ones don't seem to be doing well. I have no hospital tank and as I say when I had discus before ones one or 2 started going black then the others followed so I was thinking of seeing if a shop or someone would take them asap. THe brown ones are hiding in the corner and the blackest of the 2 is breathing very heavy
discusbabe
Obsessed!!

Post by discusbabe »

Really am sorry to hear this Adrian, never experienced it myself fortunately and not entirely sure what to suggest. I will pm you another forum to try though in case you're not already a member where I'm sure you'll get much more help!
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Without an H tank there is very little you can do. I might try 90-92 dg temps and heavy dosing of salt- up to 3 cups in 10 gals of water, but not in the main tank. Discus when very ill tend to either go very dark or else lose all color :(
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.