New L066s

You can post piccies of your fishies here!
DanD
Groupie

New L066s

Post by DanD »

Taking the advice from a few different people in stride, I've decided to start off keeping/breeding a less rare/expensive pleco.

A friend of mine knew a guy that was selling some juvie L066 King Tigers. These are really beautiful and while I still have a huge affinity for L046 Zebras, I am quite happy with these fish as well.

Since these guys get a little bigger I will have to make some new caves eventually but right now the caves are plenty big enough.

I am still planning on keeping Zebra's and will be setting up a 30 gallon breeder tank for them sometime in the future.

In the meantime I will be taking care of these 4 little guys:

I got them last weekend. Almost a week later they seem to be doing great. They spend most of their time hiding. I feed them at night and food disappears by the morning. This morning I watched one of them feeding on an algae wafer.

I feed them a mix of algae wafers, hakari carnivore pellets, and brine shrimp pellets.

They are only about 2 inches right now. I haven't really tried sexing them as I think they are too young still. Based on behaviour though its possible I have 2 of each. Two of them like spending alot of time in specific caves on opposite ends of the tank and two of them like hiding near the driftwood or under the slate in lots of different places.
discusbabe
Obsessed!!

Post by discusbabe »

One of my other favourite plecs! :D I have four adults at the moment and I think there are 3 males and 1 female, well hoping as well of course! :lol: There is only 1 that ever isn't holed up in a cave and she is very fat and not nearly as hairy! Time will tell of course!

AndyAps.com
Obsessed!!

Post by AndyAps.com »

Hi discus
Did you ever find out how to definatley sex those damn pleco's after we spoke last time? my 2 are still displaying different physical charecteristics but the same behavioural charecteristics.
Appearence says 1 male and 1 female. actions say 2 males!!!!
stunning fish tho, now a good size with lovely lyre tails, great watching them feed.
success is a journey full of unbelievable experiance NOT a destination with an unbelievable experiance.
discusbabe
Obsessed!!

Post by discusbabe »

Hi Andy

Not 100% sure about the sexing of these beauties but everything that my four show would agree with my summary. The "female" is a little bit hairy but nowhere as hairy as the "males". She is also very fat as if she is full of eggs and hangs out around the "males" caves constantly!

Totally agree they are great to watch eating! Food doesn't last long in their tank, any type is there type! LMAO! :lol:

Adele
AndyAps.com
Obsessed!!

Post by AndyAps.com »

i think my 2 must both be males, they both occupy caves etc one is loads more hairy than the other but i think it must just be an alpha and i dont have a proven female to compare with. I cant find one anywhere either.
Thanks for your reply tho adele.
success is a journey full of unbelievable experiance NOT a destination with an unbelievable experiance.