Zebra Spawn Alert! Now With Photo's! ;)

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

Gutted :(
I remember how gutted I felt when we flushed our first dead fry... but it really kicked in after 5..

Don't get your hopes up :(
We did, and was hoping for loads of lovely 1" zebs after a few months...
Its a steep curve to learn... we've only got 3 left of our original spawn of 14 "healthy" fry.

BUT Its not all as bad as it seems.

At least..
A: you've got a female
and..
B: you've got them spawning!

It wont be too long before the next lot come along.
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

its its not my fault? im not doing anything wrong?

i read somewhere that kh can be a factor and the kh of my waters practically 0.... could this be the reason?

is there anything else i can do to help the remaining 4 survive?

also is it natural for them to sometimes be lying on their sides occasioanlly during the wriggler stage? some of them suck to the bottom and keep upright but some dont...?? i wonder if the ones that dont will die soon too...?
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

You cant blame yourself, Like us - they are just dying - its not like you've neglected them for weeks and they died...

Low KH is bad... Its on here somewhere.

Pop down you lfs and get some buffer - quick...

Here is the link...
http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtop ... highlight=
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

p.s. - not sure about the laying on side thing as Dad looked after ours until they were big enough to come out... the one lone fry in the trap was upright when ever I looked...
Click For Our Plecs
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

my waters weird tho.

the kh is near enough 0 but the gh is 120... ph 6.5-6.6

do i need to raise the kh?
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

I have a kh of practically 0 also but don't seem to have experienced those problems.
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

ah well thats a relief, id added a little bit of water from my african tank as its kh is much higher so hopefully that will help. but if it isnt the softness of the water thats causing it i dont know what else i can do other than pray! :cry:
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

down to 2 babies now.... this is getting ridiculous....

:x
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

one of my 2 babies iv got left died last night and iv now got 1 left....

is this normal for a 1st brood or is there something wrong with either my water or tank setup??

can anyone suggest anything?

this has turned frin one of the best moments in my fish keeping career to my worst nightmare.... watching the babies die one by one is horrible....!

andrew
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Sorry to hear it's all gone a bit pete tong but I'm sure things will get better.

It's hard to say what the problem might be, especially without being there and knowing the water parameters etc. However one thing I would do next time is leave the eggs/fry with the father, as I think you'll find he'll do a better job.

I've only raised fry a few times in my breeding traps but one thing I have learnt from doing that is the trap needs to be kept ultra clean. I've had much more success with eggs/fry in the breeding trap if I make sure it's kept completely free of uneaten food particles etc. I'm not syaing this is the reson why your having problems (it's hard to see the bottom of your breeding trap anyway) but it might be something to keep an eye on for next time.

Cheers
Plastic Mac
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

hey mac, thanks for your reply.

i dont know what it could be, the breeder trap is spotless... they are/were too young to feed so nothings being going in there but freshly filtered water.....

my water paremeters are:

gh 120, kh 0, ph 6.5,

temp 84,

0 nitrite
0 ammonia

some nitrates.... could this cause the problem???

or could it be the ph dropping on a night due to my soft water??

any ideas?
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
Andrew C
Obsessed!!

Post by Andrew C »

Andrew
I also lost my first spawn of six fry over a two week period, one fry was found dead every couple of days, they were in still in the parents tank in the hatcher.
These fry were dieing, while in the same tank, the father was hatching new fry :?
I knew the male was sitting on more eggs (seen the female in his cave), so i moved some fish from a tank so that i had a mature tank for the fry and put the fry straight into it when they appeared out of the males cave (i have been lucky so far in that the fry are appearing fully devolped).
I also added a Fluval 2 with some polyfilter in it to the tank to help with water quality in the early days and i am giving the tank daily 50% water changes.

I have very soft water, a KH of zero & GH of zero, the ph settles just below 7 after a day or so in a storage tank, my water is full of phosphates which must be used by the water authority to buffer my tap water.
I am also adding some bi-carbonate & epsom salts to the water (in a storage tank) to slowly get the kh up to 3 and the gh up a bit, and so far (two weeks) the new batch seem fine, though still early days.

Probably better to raise your kh a bit, soft water is ideal for egg hatching, but slightly harder water is better fry rearing, can't remember the exact explanation, but even if it is just to stop any ph swings, personally think it is better.
sam
Obsessed!!

Post by sam »

sorry to hear of your losses :(
To be honest in my years of keeping fish rightly or wrongly i have never measured kh only gh and ph. Ive been keeping discus for the last 5 years and not had any problems even with breeding them, and now breeding zebras. The only differece in my water to yours is my ph which has allways been on the high side for discus at about 7.4
the only thing i can think of is if like me you use a mix of RO and tap water, do you filter the tap water? if not maybe there is still enough chemical in the water to affect the fry and not the adults.
this is the first time I've bred zebras and their first spawn, all the eggs were fertile and all touch wood doing fine. Maybe I've just been lucky I'm no expert. I've read on this site where its taken a long time for some to get them to spawn and the first spawn to be infertile. All I have done was to introduce a cave, I feel a bit guilty.
I dont know if any of this helps.
I hope things improve for you.
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

the last one died last night.... :cry:

gutted :x
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
John

Post by John »

I know how it feels andrew, please cheer up a bit and look at this from the bright side.
At least now you've got the female you wanted and she's willing to spawn in your tank with one of your males that wants her.
Those are allready things some people are waiting for for a long time.
I had my adult zebs for 2,5 years before they spawned the first time!!
Heard of people with those kind of losses many times and there was no special reason to be found for their losses, the next batch they had was no problem, so cheer up and get ready for the next batch!
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]