My turn!

We all know how difficult it is to identify the sex of these fish, so please post a picture in here and we'll try to help you (or at least give an educated guess!).
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

My turn!

Post by Ed_R »

What do you all think of this one:

I apologize for picture quality, my camera is auto-focus and the bag likes to be in front of the fish;)
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Ed_R,

Nice fish, I would guess a female but it's hard to tell due to the picture quality.

Just a word of advice, try taking the camera out of the plastic bag. Your pictures should be a whole lot better. :lol: :lol:
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

Hey what a great idea!;)
I've heard one say male, one say female. At 2 and a half inches it's a safe bet it's not going to grow any more.
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Ed-R,
Apologies,but its no point quessing (due to the picture quality).
If the fish was in a shallow container of some sort, (without the bag in the way) ,you would get a better picture.
What makes you say that it shouldnt grow much more than 2 1/2 "?. Your fish still has some growing to do.
In my view males grow to about 4" total length ( my largest male was 4" when it died suddenly after a feed of frozen bloodworm, a few months back)and females 3 1/2".
Regards,
Des.
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

THis is the biggest one I have ever seen, Des. Granted, I haven't seen tha tmany.....
and no reason to feel bad that yo ucan't sex the thing with the lousy pic!
I will be moving them out of the tank they are in and into a newer tank some time soon, and when I do, I'll take better pics if I can- probably not a good idea to cycle a tank with them, though, so it might be a bit;)
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Ed_R,
I too ,a few years back was trying to breed with a couple of zebras that were only 2". I never knew that they were only only juveniles. I have learnt a lot since.
If I were you I would transfer the existing filter system to the new tank, maybe in addition to another, but wouldnt want to put them into a new ,though newly cycled tank. Be careful with the ph too in the new tank.
I have just done the same,last weekend by moving some zebras,other hypancistrus,corys and Rams with their water and undergravel filter medium (clay granules) into a new tank (which gives them 3 times more volume), then gently topping up with additional water,dechlinator and ph adjustment to what they were used to. I too had to decide whether to do that or move them into a newly cycled tank.I just couldnt risk taking the second choice.
Regards,
Des.
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

CAn't transfer biopmedia, I use fluidized bed filters n the big tank and I'm going with sponges in the 20 gallon. I don't even want to take any water from teh big tank at th emoment, it's got ick.