L98 & L173 from L46 breeding???

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

KenW
Obsessed!!

L98 & L173 from L46 breeding???

Post by KenW »

Since some have been successful at breeding L46, I'm curoius to know if anyone have seen L98 or L173 variants from their spawns of L46??? Or do most think this situation is not the case for the variants.
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

NOt knowing what L98 or L173 look like, I could;t tell you. Are they as clean and white as the l46?
KenW
Obsessed!!

Post by KenW »

The only two places having pictures is the New Aqualog (hard cover) and the Datz L-numbers, but I question the accuracy of those pictures. Does anyone know which is the correct picture for the variants.

Ed_R,

Your guess is as good as mine.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

du ma has some really nice L98, here:
http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=212
KenW
Obsessed!!

Post by KenW »

McEve thanks for link. Must have missed the post in December.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

As far as I am Aware, L98, & L173 are merely mutations of L46. Whether or not this mutation has the ability to be passed from generation to generation I am unsure.

There is an argument that these are an entirely different strain hence the Datz allocation, but considering they are from the same regional area and tributery, I feel it is unlikely. (Please bear in mind this is from a lamens point of view).

If anyone out there knows different, please tell us what youthink, I am very curious.
:roll:
Rob :lol:
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I just saw this fry again:

It appeard to have a stripe missing, but I put it down to the age, thought it might be just a growing stage. But now that I saw it again, a month later, I can see it definately does have a missing stripe . All the others seem to have the stripes they should have.

You'd think I should see them more often? I do, but usually only their tails. They stick up behind the rock they're living behind - i guess they think something linke "If I don't see you, then you don't see me" :lol:

The parents have normal stripes
wandj
Obsessed!!

Post by wandj »

Look at the eyes!!

From what I've noticed, the L46 has a bit of black and blue to the eye, whereas the other 2 have normal brownish eyes AND they do not have the black going through the eye. If the eyes are so different, I think they are unrelated.
wandj
Obsessed!!

Post by wandj »

Sorry it was repeated so many times. I got a "debug mode" error and it said my reply had failed. So I tried a couple more times. I didn't know it had worked. :wink:{dont worry matie.took care of your "multi posts :lol: ,Sid}
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

You can click on two of those messages on "edit" then delete them now that you aren't having problems posting :)

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
du ma
Obsessed!!

Post by du ma »

mc eve,

how big are your fries? i have another small one that had some very odd patterns on it. but it might be a growing stage as well. its around 2". anyone have an idea of how old the thing is judging by it's size? i havent got a chance to snap a picture of it yet, it was always stuck in the crevices in the driftwoods.
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

The only fry of my second breeding seems to have a different patterns as wel. Instead of stripes it seems to have dots.
I am really curious if this is a growing stage or if it will be permanent.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Hi du ma

The fry is 4,5 month old, and is 2,5 cm now. About one inch. Only tiny :) Maybe yours is just under a year old?
hamish99
Obsessed!!

plenty plec pics here

Post by hamish99 »

zebra046
Obsessed!!

Post by zebra046 »

the easiest way to solve this mystery is to breed 173 or 098 and see if they breed true, I think this are all L046 with slightly odd stripes