Hey McEve

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Hey McEve

Post by Dr. P »

Are those Endlers you have added to your zebra tank?
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

You're still watching? ;) Yes I added a few Endlers. I've been looking for a fish that might go together with the Zebra's ever since I first got them. I had Threadfins together with them for a while, but they didn't handle the current.

The reason why I want tankmates for them is based on (yet another) experiment. The theory behind it is, do the Zebras look to the behaviour of other fish for dangers? Will they be out more, feeling more secure if they see small fish that behave in a way that signal "no danger"?

I know the Endlers don't even live in the same part of the world, so maybe Cardinals would be a better choise, but I don't think they handle the current very well either - end, maybe the Endlers can provide som live food in the form of fry as well?

I can't help myself, I need to see how the Zebra react to different things :roll:
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

I often thought about adding some 'dither' fish into my Zebra tank, but now they have bred....I am changing as little as possible.
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I don't blame you one bit for that :D I've read somewhere that a change can set the Zebra's back 6 months or more if you change something in the tank.

On the other hand, I've also heard about Zebra's living in a stable enviroment, no changes at all, that didn't breed for two years after the first bout of spawn. (it sounds as though there's often three in a row?) I don't hink their natural enviorment would be stable throughout a year, temperature would change, other fish would come and go so forth, but you can't always compare a natural to an "artifical" enviorment either...

I don't know, it doesn't seem like anybody has found *the* key to making them spawn yet.... might not even be one? :) I'm just trying to watch them and learn as much as I can
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

McEve wrote:I don't think their natural enviorment would be stable throughout a year, temperature would change, other fish would come and go so forth
Which probably accounts for why in the wild they have breeding 'seasons' and in aquarium conditions they seem to be able to spawn through out the year.
KenW
Obsessed!!

Post by KenW »

I currently have pygmy cories with my babies and regular cories with my breeding groups. In my young adult group I keep Aus rainbows, lemon tetras, and serpae tetras. They seem to be okay. I do not have strong current, no power heads just power filters, sponge filters, and airstones. Hope this info helps.

I don't know if moving the group or the males make a difference. My experience has been that when I swapped a couple of males they bred within a week of the male moving. After the first spawn it took a few weeks before another spawn. I think it has more to do with the individual male and females within a group given the right environment. Some seem more prolific than others. This is just my opinion and experience. Then Again I maybe wrong.
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

Ken, what are you breeding? If it's Zebras, I need to buy you a few beers to get you to sell me some;)
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Hi Ken!

I understand corys can be triggered to spawn by heavy water changes as well, so did they ever spawn in the Zebra tank? And if yes, did the Zebras leave the eggs alone?
KenW
Obsessed!!

Post by KenW »

Hi Ed_R,

Yes they are Zebras, and are only a few of months old. Still tiny, between 1/2-3/4 inches or approx 1 to 1.5 cm.

Hi McEVe,

I haven't seen any cory spawnings yet in the tanks. I have not simulated any rainy season with cooler large water changes. So I can't really respond to that. They may still be to young. Also, I only have 2 or 3 in a tank to help clean up left over food. Anymore and I'm concerned the zebras may not get enough food. So far
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

WHooo! How many have you got?
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

:lol: :lol: I think I can guess your next question :mrgreen:
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

Hey, local to me, even! I wanna SEE 'em!

GOts lots o q's for Mister KenW, no doubt about it. ;)
KenW
Obsessed!!

Post by KenW »

I currently have around 20 to 24 babies from two males. I would have to look at my records to see how many times they spawned. I know one spawn was eight and another was 6 and the rest were 1's and 2's. There were several spawns that the males ended up eating all the eggs after three days. The low numbers are probably due to the females being rather young and inexperienced males, my guess only. It could also be the harder city water, something I will change in the future.
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

Can we arrange a vist for me? I'd love to check out the setup!
KenW
Obsessed!!

Post by KenW »

Pretty much anytime over the weekend is good. Send me a private message and I'll get you more info.