Tank Size Decisions...Please HELP!!!

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

mistern2005
Obsessed!!

Tank Size Decisions...Please HELP!!!

Post by mistern2005 »

So I am in the process of deciding which tank setup and route to upgrade to. By the end of the week I will have a total of seven zebras ranging in size from 0.75-1.5 inches. Here's the delimma...

If I stick with seven zebras I think they would be happy in a 20 gallon long tank 30 in x 12.5 in X 12.5 in (80L - 76cm X 32cm X 32 cm)...even once full grown...everyone agree?

But I have the opportunity to get a 30 gallon breeder tank which is approx 36in X 18in X 12.5 in (120L, 92cm X 46cm X 32 cm). Note tank dimensions listed in LxWxH.

If I get the 30 gallon breeder it seems like an awfully big space for just seven zebras...especially growing out! However I could add more...I'd reckon I could keep 12 adults in that tank easily.

Here's the question...would it make sense to have 12+ zebras in a tank to try to breed? Would it make more sense to keep them in two smaller groups? What would you guys do....start off with the one colony in the 20 gallon tank then set up another 20 gallon tank for another colony (assuming I can get my hands on another colony!). Plus having 7 juvenile zebras in 30 gallon to grow out might not be that good....harder to find food so I'd have to feed more, more water changes, more water to change, etc. Right?

Comments, suggestions....what do you think would be the best approach???
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I agree with you that it is possible to have a dozen breeders in a the 30B-it works for me. The fry would be easier to feed etc in a smaller setup. Initially they will all group together anyway no matter what size you choose. As they grow some will start to leave the group.

As for feeding, you only have to drop their food near the group hidng spot or spots and as they spread out you just put less of it near more spots.

I use a 10 and a 15 gal tank for growout once I remove fry from the breeder tank.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
ApacheDan
Obsessed!!

Post by ApacheDan »

Minster, ...you are going through the same dilema I was going through a few weeks back ...LOL :D
I have the same size zebras that you got, except a total of 18. I put them all in a 20 gal long tank, full of slates, bogwood, sand, etc. and just 4 guppies as company. What I noticed is that the bigger guys stick to bigger hidding places & smaller ones, in smaller crevices. So far, no indication whatsoever of fighting, etc. The whole idea is to split the group by size, once they start growing,which is going to take a while, or show any indication of fighting. I also have 2 extra 20 gal long tanks (currently warming up with other LD#'s) and the moment I need them, they will be evicted on behalf of the Zebras. I think I will split the group in 3 colonies of 6 each, on 20 gal tanks. Mind you, I'm also concerned about feeding & tend to overfeed, ...but do water changes & cleaneup every other day. Good luck. Dan