Medical Treatments for Zebras?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Tristan
Obsessed!!

Medical Treatments for Zebras?

Post by Tristan »

I have heard that zebras do not do well if you are using protazin, in fact one shop owner told me that protozin kills off all catfish. Having used it in my discus tank and had no adverse effects on gold nugget, royal plec, bristlenoses and opal spot plec, have i been lucky or is the shop owner feeding me incorrect info. Just like to know everyones thoughts. PS another shop owner told me tht if you drop the water temp in your tank a couple of degrees it will kill your zebra plec, at that point i made my excuses and left! :P
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Protozin is a good broad spectrum treatment which contains copper. This means that you cannot treat scaleless fish with it.

In an ideal world, you don't really want to treat your fisn (in my opinion) wih any medication. Athough we all know that this is not always possible. Quite often a series of good water changes and a slight increase in temperature can suffice. As far as using protizin on the zebras, I'm not aware that it woulca cause a major problem, although to be on the safe side, I would steer clear of it. The other option is Myxazin, which is not copper based. it is also a broad spectrum treatement, but a little "gentler" on the fish.

As far as killing your zebra is you lower your temp by a few degrees, I would have to disagree. I quite often lower the tank temp to around 72, from 82 over a period of time, when trying to simulate the rainy season.

Hope this helps

rob