Latecomer, as usual!

Hmmm...what else can I say!
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Latecomer, as usual!

Post by Ed_R »

Ok, so I decided to start breeding these things a couple-three weeks late. Typical Ed_R fashion, gotta wait till it's a lot more difficult than usual!;)
SInce I live in Dallas, TX, and apparently all imports of these fish have now stopped dead, I'm going to need some help in finding a pair. I have one zebvra, a tiny little guy in a huge 240 gallon community tank. He's kept company by somoe 70 or so other fish. I am thinking he's a male but I am definitely no expert!
At any rate, here we are, I'm sure I'm going to have to spend some money, let's get it rolling!
And thanks to Rob for starting this forum, it appears to be an excellent resource!
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

Hi there Ed_R, glad you found us!

Sounds like you have a bit of a mission on your hands. Finding L046 these days aint the easiest of tasks.

You mentioned you already have one (that you think is male) residing in a comminity setup. Any chance of some pics?
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

I can and will post a pipc or two in a while, perhaps this evening.
I am about to check on a place in town that last I knew had one zebra- they want $150 for it!
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Ed_R

Welcome on board mate.

As far as finding zebras, you willdefinately have your work cut out at he moment. If you do get the chance to get one, I'd snap it up. Even $150 isn't that bad a price at the moment. They are going for about £100 min for a decent sized fish over here.

Good luck, and get a couple of photo's of your existing zebra on line and we will see if we can sex it for you.

Cheers again, and hope you find the forum useful.

Rob :lol:
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

ALright! After detroying the decor of my aquarium, ruing a nice flannel shirt, pissing every fish I own off, and almost ruining the camera by dropping it in the tank, I have - one fuzzy pic. I doubt it will be of any use in sexing, it's too out of focus. Apparently my camera gets confused by the aquarium glass, even if I have manual focus on.
At any rate:

He's around two inches long. I've had him for several months now, and aside from a couple-three Rapahels and some banjo catfish that I never see, he's teh only species from South America in the tank- the rest are all Asian.

I know, I need a better pic.
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

Oh phooey. I have tried and tried and tried to get a decent photo of my zebra but it just ain't happening. The camera gets fooled by the glass on an auto-focus, and there is no manual over-ride.
So until I feel like totally disrupting the tank again ( ain't happening any time soon!! ) to catch the thing and put it in a butter dish or something for a photo op, it's going to have to stay fuzzy and blurry.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Ed do you have a screen on the back of your camera that you can look at the picture in? rather than using the viewfinder? If so, hold the focus button in halfway, and then move the camera back and forth until the focus is tight on the zebra. VERY clean glass inside and out will help keep the camera from 'seeing" the glass, as will a completely darkened room. Hope that helps!

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

That's how I got that last pic, Barbie. That little thing doesn't stay in one place very long. But at least it looks healthy.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Welcome to the forum Ed R,

Your going to find it pretty hard to source some zebras and even harder to get them for a reasonable price. I suspect that they will crop up from time to time, check here regularly http://www.aquabid.com/. In the UK they are still appearing for private sale whilst most LFSs are out of stock.

Good luck.
KenW
Obsessed!!

Post by KenW »

Glad you found this site Ed_R. Welcome. This site is a great place to learn and share info. What part of Dallas do you live?
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

KenW wrote:Glad you found this site Ed_R. Welcome. This site is a great place to learn and share info. What part of Dallas do you live?
I'm in noirthern Carrollton. What about you?
wandj
Obsessed!!

Post by wandj »

Always take a pic on glass from an angle. And those polarized filters should help, but it is extremely important to have lots of light. My camera will not focus if it is too dark. Plus I have a macro lens so I can get great close ups.

Good luck.