Soft water zebs and peat

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

rich1988oxford
Obsessed!!

Soft water zebs and peat

Post by rich1988oxford »

Hi,
I just wanted to ask for everyones opinion on using small amounts of peat placed in the external filter to soften the water. The reason i ask is that i am getting my first batch of zebs at the weekend and the breeder says that he is keeping and bred them in "discus like" soft water. Obvously i want the water parimeters of my tank to match that of the water they are coming from as closely as possible. I use 100% RO water which should mean the PH should lower relitively easily. Is the use of peat a good idea and if not what other methods would you reccomend to soften my water as i dont really want to use chemicals like PH down as im not comfortable with the high level of sulphuric acid i would be introducing.
Thanks
Rich
TomSharland
Groupie

Post by TomSharland »

Low kH and peat = low pH and the chance of pH swings
Pure RO and peat = low low low pH and the certainty of pH swings at every water change, or every eavening if you have plants to.

Just acclimatise the fish to your water and then keep the perameters stable, easy peasy.

Just out of interest, what are the parameters of your tap water, ie pH, kH, gH, conductivity. You may only need to filter the water through a heavy metal/chlorine filter and do away with the RO.

Tom
Be thankful for wooden floors