...and the morale of the story is....

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

ApacheDan
Obsessed!!

...and the morale of the story is....

Post by ApacheDan »

...let's not be greedy, sellers or buyers. I got bitten by the Zebra bug & agreed to purchase five (5) 3/4" zebras. Last week I received the box by DHL Express, less than 15 hours later I was unpacking. Nice packing, bag buddies, heat packs, double-bags. Two arrived death, three barely surviving. I noticed the temp of the bags was around 76-78F. Thanks God I was able to revive & acclimate the three. I did receive a refund for the death Z's, but that's not the point. I believe at 3/4" zebra fry cannot stand the stress of shipping that well. From now on, I won't buy anything less than 1", ..and I would hope sellers will sell at that size or bigger only. I feel partially guilty for the death of 2 Zebras..another tough lesson. Just my humble opinion. Dan :(
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

In my opinion they shouldn't be sold until they are at leat 6 months old. I've got a few unfreindly remarks around after taking this stance :P They just don't handle the change in enviroment very good before this age, and any deformities might still develop.

Personally I'd wait until the age of 12 months + before selling or buying.

Sorry about your bad experience :(
tmh0324
Groupie

Post by tmh0324 »

Yeah...I agree with you...

and you are not the only one...

I had a bad experience before ,too...

Anyhow, good luck with your zibbes~~~ 8)
Just fall in love with zebra~~
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

I dont sell any of my fry - what ever they are - under 1"...

My zebs might never get sold :D..
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
John

Post by John »

McEve wrote:In my opinion they shouldn't be sold until they are at leat 6 months old. I've got a few unfreindly remarks around after taking this stance :P They just don't handle the change in enviroment very good before this age, and any deformities might still develop.(
I think this should be the point of view by the zp-team and i think selling or wanting zebs under 6 months old shouldn't be allowed in the private sales and wants section of this forum.
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
ApacheDan
Obsessed!!

Post by ApacheDan »

I believe knowledge is power, so buyer beware. Obviously nobody put a gun to my head and forced me to buy 3/4" Z's. I bought this particular lot at Aquabid. When I inquired as to their age, I was told "around one year old". Now I know that no 3/4" zebra can be 12 months old, unless it is a runt. I guess sellers will say anything, as long as they sell. Lying about the fish age is common. :(
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

ya lying about ages size and even gender are very common.

I hope I don't run into those problems once I figure out how to afford zebra plecos.
Thebuddy is planning his tank
Adam

Post by Adam »

smithrc wrote:I dont sell any of my fry - what ever they are - under 1"...

My zebs might never get sold :D..
Couldn't agree with you more Smithrc, I still haven't plucked up the courage to sell any of my lot yet and some of the fry are approaching two years old now. :oops:

I also agree that zebras under the age of six months may not survive the rigours of shipping.

Adam