Best Equipment?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

clownfish-god
Forum Follower

Best Equipment?

Post by clownfish-god »

What would be the best equipment that one could buy for their L46? When I get my breeding group id like to sleep at night in peace without fear of my filter has just stopped. So If money wasn't a option what equipment would you buy? I have heard good comments about Eheim but they only do filters from what I have been told, so what else should I get?
Adam

Post by Adam »

I would say Eheim filters are pretty hard to beat for build quality and reliability, most of my own equipment is Eheim. That's not to say that other products are not comparable in performance, it pretty much depends on what your budget will stretch to. Depending on where you are in the world supply may dictate on what equipment is readily available. What ever manufacturer you decide to go for I would advise checking that servicable parts are readily available in your country.

That said even the most reliable filter is likely to breakdown at some point. To safeguard against the loss of your stock it is advisable to have a second filter running on the tank. In the event that one breaks down the tank is still being filtered.

Lastly I would advise buying a good quality heater and fit a guard on it, Eheim Jebo heaters are very good in my experience. Alternatively if you can stretch to an Eheim thermo filter there will be no heater in the aquarium as the heating element sits in the bottom of the filter and is externally controlled by a thermostat.

It is not necessary to spend a lot of money on a zebra setup, this is just the way that I have chosen to do things. At the end of the day it's down to what suits your needs and your pocket.

Regards.

Adam
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

Regarding the heaters, I'm not sure if Hydor inline heaters are available there. If you go with a canister filter, the Hydor inline heaters connect inline to the output of the canister filter. This is another way that you do not see the heater in the tank. Having the heater in the tank will help protect any fish from accidental burns.

Eheims are the best, but there are some others, which do come high rated, but not as highly rated as the Eheims. Common problems for filters would be slight leakages, which is easily noticable. If a filter stopped working, you will normally see it fail the first few minutes after you operate it. The only way a filter will stop at somepoint overnight is if the power goes out.
Last edited by crazie.eddie on Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John

Post by John »

I've got some experience with the eheim themofilter's ,but have to say nothing beats my biofilter with sump (total of 100 liters with 75 liters of filtermaterial) and it's also perfect to put your heater in.
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

I forgot to mention, I use a Eheim Pro II 2128, which has a built in heater and several Eccos (2*2234 & 2236), which have Hydor inline heaters. My Rena FilStar XP3 use a Hydor inline heater as well.