Coconut shell caves

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Lucy
Groupie

Coconut shell caves

Post by Lucy »

Do Zebras like coconut shell caves? My L001 does - he's rasped all the 'hair' off & I just wondered if Zebs might do the same?
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

While they might use them, they will be the wrong dimensions for getting spawns from them, IMO. I've not actually tried them though, so hopefully someone else will be able to give you some input that's used them.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

i was gonna reply about your location cause i though you are from the same houston as me but i missed the scottland thing.

are you asking about the coconut for breeding or for eating?
Lucy
Groupie

Post by Lucy »

eklikewhoa wrote:i was gonna reply about your location cause i though you are from the same houston as me but i missed the scottland thing.

are you asking about the coconut for breeding or for eating?

I bet you've got better weather in your Houston than I have in mine!!

I think they're probably too big for breeding, though you can make the entrance as small as you want & I suppose the male could prevent the female from leaving by guarding the entrance - or do they need to be in close physical contact while she's laying?

I was just going to use them as hidy holes & if they want to gnore on them that's fine!
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

i dont have any zebras breeding right now so i couldnt help you with that but i was asking thinking that you had the coconut shells in there for them to chew on.

out weather is a joke along with the news, its like playing the lottery when it comes to our weather. one day freezing cold the next too hot to be outside.
AndyAps.com
Obsessed!!

Post by AndyAps.com »

hey lucy, hope the zebra's are well.
I have coconut shells in a few of my zebra tanks. they get used mostly fo hiding in and under by the females as they creat a sort of hideaway. the fry like them aswell for a bit of safety.

My bristlenose use a coconut shell to breed in, although i did seal the bottom with a piece of slate so its like an high domed cave or coconut igloo. and my queen arabesque have bred in them once but have since moved to a cave.

I would very much doubt zebra's would use them for anything other than a hideaway tho, the males are very particular about a tight fitting space. and im not sure they would eat them as they have a very different diet to L001.
success is a journey full of unbelievable experiance NOT a destination with an unbelievable experiance.