Water Additives for RO Water...

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

I'm not sure what your nitrate levels coverted to ppm's would be, but an average nitrate level of 40ppm is safe. Some fishes tend to stress out at higher levels, while some would stress out at levels above 20ppm. I would assume that this would be how they are raised.

How long has the 35 gal been running? What is in that tank?

Using RO water can get expensive. If you don't have an RO unit, you have to frequently buy the water at the store, then store the water in a large container so you can mix the additives properly. Not to mention that the additives can get expensive.

IMO, I prefer the planted tank route. Planted tanks are appealing to look at. All plants absorb nitrates, some more than others. If the hornworts are working for you in your low tech tank (typical aquarium lighting with no CO2), then use them in the 34 gallon as well. I use Java fern, Taiwan moss (any moss will do), and Naja grass, along with other plan clippings in my zebra tank.

A nitrate remover would be my next choice.

How about double checking your nitrate levels with your LFS/LPS?
mistern2005
Obsessed!!

Post by mistern2005 »

1mg/l = 1ppm

The 34gallon tank has been up about 4 weeks now (but the filter had been hooked up to another tank for two months prior to that). I thought I would have no problem with cycling since the filter was "broken in". I think my current nitrate problem is a combination of that assumption being bad and having high nitrates in the tap water.

I know that my nitrate levels in the 34gal are too high becuase almost every fish that was moved from another 10 gallon into that tank is sick and/or dying. It's quite pathetic actually. The tank has some of the more docile dwarf south american cichlids in it...various rams, nannacars, and apistogrammas (six fish in total, half male, half female). I am going to try adding more "low-tech" plants...I just have to find some (the pet stores out here aren't very good).

I'll bring some water to the LFS to have them double check...I guess it would never hurt to be twice as sure!
Alistair
Obsessed!!

Post by Alistair »

If you are unable to get a clear reading of the nitrate from you tap water then try diluting ten fold with distilled water and multiplying the result by ten. if it is still off the scale then dilute by 100 (take ten ml and dilute with 90ml, take ten ml of this and dilute with 90ml again) multiplying up again. this should give you an indication of the levels.

However as you are talking about cycling the tank, are you getting Nitrite mixed up with Nitrate, a level of 50ppm(or mg/l) Nitrate should not harm your fish but if it were nitrite then it would make your fish ill.

As for nitrate removing plants, anything quick growing will do as long as it can handle the high temps. I have had go succes with giant vallis, java fern and moss and echindoris.

Al.C
Jojoyojimbi
Obsessed!!

Post by Jojoyojimbi »

try najas grass for a fast growing high temp loving plant
mistern2005
Obsessed!!

Post by mistern2005 »

Alistair - Diluting with distilled water is a good idea, I might use that in the future. I am not getting nitrites and nitrates confused. I have been keeping fish for a very long time and testing the water as long as I've been keeping fish. The only question to accuracy is whether or not I have a bad test kit. I double checked witht he LFS and my test set looks good.

JoJo - thank you for the plant suggestion, now I have to try to track some down...

As for all the other suggestions, I am going to stick with PlasticMac's advice and try the RO right and PH stable. From what I've read both used in conjunction sound pretty good. Filterting, saving RO waste water, etc., isn't an option. Since I have been using RO water for my water changes, the nitrate level in the aquairum has dropped from about 30ppm to about 5ppm.

Although nitrates at a level of 30-40ppm isn't bad, I would argue it isn't good either. It's my understanding in nature nitrates are very, very low (below 10ppm).
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

Go to plantedtank.net forums and check out the for sale section and post that you are looking for naja grass. Most people will give it to you for free and just have to pay for shipping. You may find someone close to you to just give it away.
Alistair
Obsessed!!

Post by Alistair »

@ Mistern2005
I am not getting nitrites and nitrates confused. I have been keeping fish for a very long time and testing the water as long as I've been keeping fish.
I only asked as I used to work in my LFS when I was at uni and we used to get people in who had also kept fish for years and had no idea or understanding of the nitrogen cycle.

I have thought of another plant to try, Riccia. I used it when I used to breed Appistos., it grows like mad and adds some shade to the tank. Just have to see if it ends up blowing around your tank like tumble weed!

Al.C
mistern2005
Obsessed!!

Post by mistern2005 »

Al.C-

I know what you mean about folks not knowing the difference....I am still amazed at folks who are in line at the pet store with a 10gallon all-you-need set up and bags of fish. I would hope that someone who is committed enough to buy zebras would at least understand the concept of cycling...but the dumb thing people do never ceases to amaze me!

I like the look of the riccia...next week I'm picking up a few plants from someone on plantedtank.net - naja grass, java moss, and rainbow moss. Once those settle in I'll go on a riccia hunt! Thanks for the suggestion.