Zebra Pleco L-46

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
SanDiegoFishes
Groupie

Zebra Pleco L-46

Post by SanDiegoFishes »

Wow, did I have an exciting weekend :) I decided to "deep clean" my Zebra pleco spawning tank. I have not gotten "in" there in almost 2 years. Just doing lots of water changes, and filter maintenance, etc., and of course, feeding the little stinkers. There were originally 7 young adults in this tank, what I believed to be 5 males and 2 females (but never was sure).
So, this weekend, mostly do to an obnoxious over abundance of Malaysian Trumpet snails, I went in there, LOL! Gently pulled out all the breeding caves, plants, etc., and had a look (and got rid of every feaking MTS I could). I have seen many babies of different sizes, but I have never been able to tell exactly how many are in there. I still don't know for sure, as many of the large fish were lodged in caves, and I couldn't see a dang thing. But my head count (tail count?) of the ones I could count when everything was removed was 30!
Yeah baby, that is the kind of surprise I love to see! And sorry folks (before my emails go nuts), but I currently not selling any of them. Going to grow most of them out, spread them to other tanks, and continue breeding them :)
30 Zebras of various ages and sizes, and probably more hiding in the caves. I am SO excited!
Woodle (AKA SanDiegoFishes)
Currently run 25+ tanks and 6 above ground ponds. Breed many species of fish, including catfish, plecos, angels, Uaru's, German Blue Rams, livebearers, even snails.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Woohooo! Congratulations! That's always a nice type of a surprise. My surprises lately have run more to the "oops, dangit, that bulkhead won't fit past that stand with them configured that way!" sort of thing ;).

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Do I see a pattern? It seems to get zebras to breed all you need is to be named Barb and then to ignore the tank a while.

Nice work Woodle-

I am gonna change my name to Barb :mrgreen:
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
SanDiegoFishes
Groupie

Post by SanDiegoFishes »

Hey you!
Long time no see, and a giant LOL to yah!
Barbie, AKA Woodle :)
Currently run 25+ tanks and 6 above ground ponds. Breed many species of fish, including catfish, plecos, angels, Uaru's, German Blue Rams, livebearers, even snails.
SanDiegoFishes
Groupie

Post by SanDiegoFishes »

PS
Thanks, but the fish did all the work, I just gave them free room, and lodging :) Oh yeah, and room service, maid service, and all the amenities.
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I am doing well. Have colony of breeding zebras and about 80 assorted fry from them. Been chatting at Holics and FellowshipoftheFish. Drop by either some time and say hello :-)
SanDiegoFishes
Groupie

Post by SanDiegoFishes »

80 assorted zebra fry? AWESOME!! Do you leave yours with the colony, or are you taking babies out and raising them in a seperate tank?
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

A bit of both. I now have 3 tanks for zebs. The biggest is the breeding tank and there are still about 30 fry in there. I have a 10 and a 15 that hold 20 and 30 fry respectively.

The process of collecting and counting the fry in the main tank seems to have paused the spawning. The males are still in their caves advertising, but the ladies aren't responding. Hopefully this is temporary.