Fry Growth Rate

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
fishboy20
Groupie

Fry Growth Rate

Post by fishboy20 »

Has anyone documented the growth rate in Zebra Plecos? I have 6 babys from earlier in the year (March), that are about 1.25" now. Would everyone assume this is about the normal growth rate for these fish since they have been documented to live 20+ years? The 6 babys are in a 65 gallon along with two adult wild zebras.

Daily water changes of 30% are done with water conditions: Temperature 83-85, pH 7.2, total hardness 40ppm

Feedings include: frozen daphnia (they love these), some bloodworms, brine shrimp, ground pellet/flake food (would like to start feeding live foods)

Any suggestions, comments are welcomed. Thanks!

~Jeremy B.
Columbus, OH
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Hi Jeremy,

You say earlier this year, but do you know just how much earlier? Are they 4 months old? It sounds like you're doing a great job if they aren't. Mine are about 1.25" TL or maybe a bit smaller, and they were spawned late August (they spawned while I was gone getting married, so I don't know the exact date, but I'm not complaining!). I culture grindal worms for mine, and they LOVE them. I can't seem to keep the grindals making enough output to keep up with them though. I also feed frozen cyclopeeze, which you'll find the babies love about as much as daphnia. I also make sure that I drop a small piece of a hikari algae wafer in with mine. They always clean it up too. I've been quiite amazed at how much food those little guys can go through!

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
fishboy20
Groupie

Post by fishboy20 »

The first spawn was in May, the second spawn was in June. The fry from May are about 1.25" the other spawn is slightly smaller. Sounds like the growth rate is pretty normal.

Thanks for the additional food suggestions. I would love to have some grindal/white worms to raise. Eventually I will have to order some.

~Jeremy
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Fishboy20

The growth rate sounds about roght. You are doing the right thing with the water changes as this allows you to overfeed them slightly.

You will probably find that they slow down slightly now. The zebras seem to have two growth spirts, one just after they hatch, within the first 10 days or so, and then another at abouit six months. Then they seem to stop!!!! Over the next 6 months there will not be a huge change in size although they should fatten up slightly.

good luck mate

rob :lol:
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
zebra046
Obsessed!!

Post by zebra046 »

I second Rob that sound accurate
fishboy20
Groupie

Post by fishboy20 »

I wanted to note that it seems the zebras have gone through another growth spurt. The older ones are now 1.5" or slightly larger. Obviously the faster they grow the happier it makes me. That much closer to being able to spawn them.
zebra046
Obsessed!!

Post by zebra046 »

here is a good guide to show you the growth rate of zebra fry the larger zebra is around 4 months while the smaller size is exactly 3 weeks the larger bristlenose pleco is about 6 weeks while the smaller bristlenose plecos are only 2 weeks old, the quarter dollar is 1/16 shy of an inch.