Michael's Zebra Thread!!!

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

mistern2005
Obsessed!!

Michael's Zebra Thread!!!

Post by mistern2005 »

Well, the new babies arrived today. I just got them acclimated and let them go in the tank but they disappeared right away. Fortunately I snapped a few pictures right before I set them free. I'd post the pictures but I don't know where I should go to host them...any ideas???

I wanted to add a note about the acclimation process. I've had acclimation troubles in the past primarily when I kept tropheus. The person who sold me these little guys (I'll ask if I am allowed to disclose who it is) told me that the reason shipped fish can have acclimation issues is that when shipped ammonia obviously builds up in the bag. The fish, however, are less sensitive to it because the overabundance of oxygen (assuming they were shipped with oxygen - which they should be!). When the bag is opened the oxygen levels plummet and the fish immediately get more sensitive to ammonia. To prevent this from occurring, float the bag on the surface and leave it CLOSED for 15 minutes to reach temperature equilibrium. Next, open the bag and immediately start mixing in your aquarium water. I did this three times....empty the bag partially, add more of my water, etc. After about 30 minutes total I let the little guys go and all has been great! What does everyone else think of this oxygen/ammonia counteraction theory? I'd certainly like more insight and discussion.

When I have a little more time I'll write up the specs on my baby zebra rearing set up and take some pictures (and hopefully figure out how to post them as well).
Last edited by mistern2005 on Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zoban
Groupie

Post by Zoban »

Your process is pretty much in tune with what I have done since day one with al my lil fin'd friends. And the theory regarding the oxygen makes sence though I hadn't really thought about it that way before.
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

id never thought about why you aclimate but that makes perfect sense
Thebuddy is planning his tank
Pete
Obsessed!!

Post by Pete »

Hmm. Dunno about that explanation for acclimation problems. A little Amquel or similar in the shipping water should deal with any ammonia problems, irrespective of oxygen - and if the shipping water has a nice low Ph, ammonia shouldn't be a problem.

Either way, I don't see any reason not to start adding water immediately - what's the other alternative: waiting a while and then adding water? Why would you.

Floating is totally optional too, unless you're in the unlikely situation where the bag is warmer than the water you're going to put the fish into.

Personally I think most acclimation problems are much more related to differences in the hardness of the water the fish is in vs. the hardness of the water they're being moved to. Too quick of a change there and bam, fish is toast.

I think Ph change during acclimation is another red herring - fish can deal with rapid Ph change much more readily than most people are willing to believe.

When I buy fish (it's a rarity these days), I immediately get them out of the bag into a bucket and set up a drip line. With a slow enough drip, acclimation problems are easily avoided. I usually put a towel over the bucket to help keep the temperature up (and of course the dark helps calm the fish). That's it.
It's not an illusion, it just looks like one.
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

i use a drip line to acclimate as well no problems since.

for hosting pictures go over to photobucket.com and start an account, its free then follow the instrutctions

resize picture using paint or something
upload into photobucket
copy and paste the img code into your thread and the picture should appear.
mistern2005
Obsessed!!

Post by mistern2005 »

Thank you for the tip on photobuckt.com... Let's se....can everyone else see my first baby picture??? They are AWESOME!!!!

Last edited by mistern2005 on Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pete
Obsessed!!

Post by Pete »

Very cute.

And a nice piece of Holey Rock too :)
mistern2005
Obsessed!!

more pcitures and tank description...

Post by mistern2005 »

Okay, now that I am a pro at this photobuckect thing (thanks again eklikewhoa!)....

The first shows a full tank shot of the setup....

The plants that are floating are a combination of fake ones, hornwort, and I think java moss...is this java moss??? Regardless I am trying to get it attached it the driftwood.

Then below are some of the toys...
The light bulb is a Life-Glo2, 15W T-8 bulb, rated at 6700K. I have it on a 12 hour timer.

The tube thing in the second picture below is a moonlight from fishbowl innovations....

http://www.fishbowl-innovations.com

I actually purchased this for my old salt water tank but have been using it on this freshwater setup....it makes a cool nightlight and I don't think the fish seem to mind (I'll try to post one when it dark with the moonlight on). If you check out the site I have the single moon tube and moon controller set to the automatic 29.5 day cycle. Just a hint if you want to buy one of these, they sometime have them on e-bay for cheaper. The customer service these guys provide is PHENOMINAL.

Lastly is the digital thermometer...possibly the greatest invention of all times. I, a rocket scientist through and through, could never get a great feel of the tank temperature from those strip thermometer things...maybe it's because I always bought the cheapest one with the fewest indicators...
I've had this little thermometer for 2 years and its still ticking perfectly.

Other specs of the tank...
-Standard issue 10 gallon tank, lid, and lighting fixture recovered from an unknown neighbor's curbside trash back in 2004.
-100W Tronic Heater (left over from the saltwater days), an excellent heater. What are some of the other popular heaters theses days???
-Filtration: Emperor 280...yes, call me crazy.
-Current: Penguin 660 Powerhead, "dialed down"

I'd certainly enjoy hearing questions, comments, and suggestions!
Pete
Obsessed!!

Post by Pete »

Cut lil' tank. Looks like Java Moss to me. In time it'll cling to your wood.

I've also run an Emp 280 on a 10 in the past. The only issue I see is making sure the food ends up in the fish and not the filter intake ;)

Ebo Jager heaters are very popular.
mistern2005
Obsessed!!

Post by mistern2005 »

Thanks for the replies Pete. I'll check out that heater. I actually found the piece of holey rock on one of my trips to the Hill Country back when I grew up in Texas. Unfortunately I only kept two big pieces....if I had only known!

I think the trick to the filter is going to be to leave it on low for a few minutes after feedings so the food is settled/eaten before the filter can gobble it all.

Another questions for all...for my other pleco (standard issue one from Petco) I drop a few algae wafers in the tank and he sucks on them until they are gone. Can I do the same thing with the little zebras, but with the carnivore wafers??? Has anyone else done something similar or is it best to feed them little pieces of food and scavenge???
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

stuff almost looks like algae!!!

holey rock is all the rave now, im in texas and it cost a small fortune. i worried about feeding in my tank as well with the high flow rate of the filters but after getting them in i just drop a single carnivore wafer in and check for it later the next day if its all gone then the following day i drop two wafers and so on till there is left over food after that i back up on the feeding a wafer so it is just enough for them to finish. i tried to put it close to where they usually chill but the current moves it and the zebras will find it.
mistern2005
Obsessed!!

Zebra Spottings!

Post by mistern2005 »

I just have to mention this...the first day after I put the zebras in the tank I couldn't help but go look that night to see if I could spot them. I had no such luck however my fiance located one of them in the light and we clearly saw a tail and the tail moved! Then we spotted the little guy sitting on the gravel. One confirmed alive!!!

Then...and this is the big news, yesterday evening I took a look at the tank and one of the little guys was hanging out next to the poewr head. I looked around some more and saw a tail under the wood as well! Two confirmed alive!!!

Clearly this has been the most fun I have had with fish in a really long time!!!! I'll try to snap some picutres of them as they continue to get more daring. I'l also try to put a night shot of the tank with the moonlight up somtime this week.
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

Hey Michael! Nice looking tank!! And im happy the fish arrived safe!! One thing where did you get your "Java Moss", i could swear it looks like hair algae! Do you have any other close-up shots of it?? Im just concern as i have been fighting it in one of my tanks for about 2-3 months now and once it gets a hold its hard to get ride of!!
But love the set-up!! :D
mistern2005
Obsessed!!

Post by mistern2005 »

Well it looks like the mystery supplier has revealed himself. Just so everyone knows .Jeremy is my "secret" supplier. If anyone is looking to do business, or acquire more zebs, Jeremy did a wonderful job with shipping and getting me two awesome zebras! If you want to know more, just ask but I warn you....I only have really good things to say.

Jeremy - I am concerned my "free" java moss that came mixed in with the hornwort wasn't such a bargain...I am going to take it out of the tank. Too many folks think it is hair algae for comfort. Thanks for the heads up... Also, one of the zebras has made home on the back wall of the tank by the powerhead...he hangs out there all the time and isn't really shy at all. However the other one seems to stay much more hidden.
Last edited by mistern2005 on Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

If you don't want the java moss, I'll take it. Depending how much you have. Actually, my cousin (Ed also) is looking for more.