Michael's Zebra Thread!!!

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

mistern2005
Obsessed!!

Post by mistern2005 »

@ Eddie - I threw out the "java moss", actually after looking at it more I am less convinced it was java moss and more convinced it was bad algae.

@ Jeremy - I wanted to know what kinds of live plants you would suggest keeping that are easy and beneficial. What do you have in your breeding tanks??? The hornwort I have seems very messy!!!

Also, as promised here are some night shots of the tank with the moonlight. Currently I set it on "high" for these pictures. The brightness varies because I was tinkering with my camera. In real life the highest setting from the a single tube actually appears to be roughly half way between the two pictures in intensity....I think it looks very cool.

By the way...I spotted both zebras tonight....they were hanging out together on the back wall behind the powerhead. I hope they continue to get more comfortable so I can see them eat!!
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

There are not too many plants that thrive in a warm tank.....IMO, they might stay alive for awhile but eventually die....and of course this is w/o CO2...
I currently have hornwort and its a very fast grower for me!! IT grows very well!! Depending on your current you can try some riccia or other floating plants that just thrive on any temp....I also have some jave moss, but with the high current, its hard to keep it in place and grow....Another plant you might want to try are some anubias! And if you want some java Moss i can send some over, im actually cutting down my tank this week and I can send some.....pm me!
mistern2005
Obsessed!!

Updates...

Post by mistern2005 »

Well, now I am up to seven zebras, lots of CRS, and some snails (can someone help me ID and remove them?). Also, I'm cycling a 20 gallon tank to move everyone to....currently it is home to a catfish (can someone help me ID him???). Under the 20 gallon is a 2.5 gallon quarantine tank that is home to a female betta at the moment...pardon the algae!

Current zebra tank...

Little guys...

More of the little guys...

Snails I am trying to get rid of....any advice??

The zebras home to be...

What kind of catfish is this??? He's probably about 4 inches...

Lastly...this is my other tank...it has nothing to do with zebras!!!
tirzo13
Groupie

Post by tirzo13 »

very nice tanks.
is the new home having a problem with snails?
various loaches will eat snails, though i'd not have experience keeping them with zebras.
if you swap the zebras to the new tank without adding any of the rock or caves it should be fine and snail free.
you could then use loaches in the "old" tank, or just empty it and let it dry out, so all the snail eggs die.