Is there any kind of slate that is harmful?

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

tiger27924
Groupie

Is there any kind of slate that is harmful?

Post by tiger27924 »

I'm trying to set up a 55 gallon for some zebras that are coming my way soon hopefully, and I went to Lowe's to get some slate tiles for the tank....as I was scrubbing them off it seemed like some of the slate was dissolving....Is there certain types of slate that leach and are harmful?? I put a piece in with my bristlenose last nite to test it and everybody is okay today (they were even resting on it throughout the night). Just curious if anybody has had a bad experience or has any advice. Thanks!
Tony
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

As far as I know, slates always been inert, but it is fragile and can split/break apart easy.
n00dl3
Obsessed!!

Post by n00dl3 »

where is a good place to buy slate tiles?
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

home improvement stores
landscaping places
local fish store
tiger27924
Groupie

Post by tiger27924 »

I got some 4"x4" slate tiles from Home Depot, but they had larger sizes, and smaller sizes like little tiles. I bought a range of sizes and some silicon to make ledges and caves.
Tony
Alistair
Obsessed!!

Post by Alistair »

:shock: I hope you bought the correct aquarium silicone sealant as the stuff meant for bathrooms and kitchens has mould inhibitor in it to stop it going black, even the clear stuff, and this is toxic to fish!!!!!! I used to work at a chemical plant which made the inhibitor and it is nasty stuff :!: :!: :!:
n00dl3
Obsessed!!

Post by n00dl3 »

just make sure you get rubber silicon. That is usually safe for aquarium.
Alistair
Obsessed!!

Post by Alistair »

I used one from Dow Corning that was specifically for aquaria, it was relitively cheep as well only a couple of £'s for a 250ml tube.
AndyAps.com
Obsessed!!

Post by AndyAps.com »

yeah i have used the DOW CORNING aquarium silicone too alistair. its the only one i would trust/risk with my zebra's.
success is a journey full of unbelievable experiance NOT a destination with an unbelievable experiance.
Alistair
Obsessed!!

Post by Alistair »

Yeh, whats £3 or so when we are talking about about a £100's of fish!
CDNAqua
Obsessed!!

Bring Acid with you

Post by CDNAqua »

Some slate reacts with acid. It may not be 100 % true slate but some Home Depot slate will react.

Bring Acid with you to test the slate before buying.

If the acid reacts avoid that rock.
rhino
Obsessed!!

Post by rhino »

Here is silicone made just for aquariums. It's cheap too. :D

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_ ... &N=2023693
Bobby
Alistair
Obsessed!!

Post by Alistair »

For the acid I have used just spirit vinegar, put some on the material in question, if it fizzes then you know it is going to increase the pH of the tank water!

Al.C
AndyAps.com
Obsessed!!

Post by AndyAps.com »

yeah i have used vinegar to check slate etc too.....it will just bubble slightly, if it does then it will slowly affect your water ph and or quality.

I have also had success with terracotta caves. i got my fish from germany and the breeder was using these to breed the zebs as well as ancistrus, L66 and queen arabesque. i got some from him but have since made my own and had them fired. Note if you try this make sure they are fired in a proper kiln to over a 1000 celsius or they will just dissolve again in the water.
her are some pics of my zebs and the caves. i have currently had 2 zebra spawns in the terracotta, both unnsuccesfull (story in another post lol) and there is also some pics or L66 with eggs from Satu Vartiainen. i think he is from finland and he has a site full of fantastic fish pictures and ideas, its in finnish but pictures are fab, link to his site at bottom of page incase anyone wants to translate it.

I am thinking about making some more and selling them if there is any interest????? they can be almost any size specs. i also made some for bristlenose pair that had small enry hole but balloned out to give them more room.

http://www.saunalahti.fi/pistia/
success is a journey full of unbelievable experiance NOT a destination with an unbelievable experiance.
n00dl3
Obsessed!!

Post by n00dl3 »

i will be making and selling slate caves for zebra pleco in the next couple of days. The internal dimension for the slate cave will be 3.5 cm x 2.5 cm x 15 cm. This is a proven dimension for zebra breeding caves. Lyretail used those dimension when he was making and selling them.

I'll be selling my caves for $7 per cave. Anyone is interested please let me know.