when is the fastest time you get them to breed?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

chanettt
Obsessed!!

when is the fastest time you get them to breed?

Post by chanettt »

i read so many posts and many people wait for so long to get them to breed. so i would love to know from many other experiences that how long they have to wait for their zebra to breed? if you buy some adult zebras, how long you are waiting on that?

ps. just want to know the fastest posssiblity to get them to breed as well as the usual time that most breeder wait for the success.
CDNAqua
Obsessed!!

Post by CDNAqua »

Time line

If you have a group with females and a willing male/ perfect conditions.
expect 2.5 years from the time they are fry. with F1s

F0 adults could breed at any time if things are to thier liking.
there is no definite answer

F0 young ones may take up to 3 years to breed.
F0 seem to take longer to come around than f1s

Guesstimate about 3 years if you have younger fry.

Again thier is no defiite answer. All depends on conditions/food and zebra.

Peace

Troy
chanettt
Obsessed!!

Post by chanettt »

thank you troy, what about buying some adults? how long usually take them to breed?
CDNAqua
Obsessed!!

Post by CDNAqua »

Same, same, as with F0, F1 adults could breed at any time if things are to thier liking. They are adults after all.

Some zebra take longer to settle in then others.

again there is no definite answer.

Peace

Troy
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I hate to admit this- but I bought a proven breeding colony of wild fish on Apr. 18 and had eggs within a week of putting them into my tank. I have spawn #8 just about free swimming now.

All I did was buy them and they just started right up without any help or prodding from me at all.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
zebrastorey
Obsessed!!

Post by zebrastorey »

i had an adult male in a cave then a bought a female and in about 1-2 months they had laid there first eggs!!!

I think it really depends on the zebras
(i have a very easy female)
chanettt
Obsessed!!

Post by chanettt »

you are so lucky TwoTankAmin :o i hope mine go on fire like that.
blueblue
Obsessed!!

Post by blueblue »

chanettt wrote:you are so lucky TwoTankAmin :o i hope mine go on fire like that.
X2, me too!! Envy envy!! :D
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

I got my first spawn after three weeks of getting my stubborn colony which haven't spawned for their original owner in 3 years! The trouble is, I think there's only one female in a colony of 6! :x
chanettt
Obsessed!!

Post by chanettt »

i got one female out of 4... :(
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

TTA's colony had tortured the previous owner for more than 2 years before he got a spawn with them. They'd just already been through the waiting period ;).

I had a spawn 8 months after I really set them up to spawn, but at that point I'd owned them 3 or 4 years already. With moving twice during that time I just hadn't had anywhere to set them up the way I thought they needed to be. They spawned 5 or 6 times and basically stopped spawning at all for almost 2 more years. It's definitely not a given that you can just get them going putting them together. I think it just depends on the fish. I've had them spawn as everything from pairs to colonies.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
chanettt
Obsessed!!

Post by chanettt »

right now i am still have a problem on getting them into the caves... :(
my 3 adults come from the same owner and have been waiting for them tp spawn more than a year. (he gave up and sell all to me) i also know that he got the zebras from previous owner and they are pretty much the same size. now after moving the caves and the drfitwood around, they still not moving in yet :cry:
Zebrapl3co
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebrapl3co »

It depends on the condition and compatibility of the fish. I have one male that breeds with 2 females 2 months after I made the purchase.
I then move one of the females out to into another tank with 3 males and it's been more than 1/2 a year and not a spawn there.
Mean while, on the first tank, that pair just keep spawning like a clock work at every 7 - 8 weeks. I lost track of how many spawns I got, but it's close to 8 - 10.
chanettt wrote:right now i am still have a problem on getting them into the caves... :(
my 3 adults come from the same owner and have been waiting for them tp spawn more than a year. (he gave up and sell all to me) i also know that he got the zebras from previous owner and they are pretty much the same size. now after moving the caves and the drfitwood around, they still not moving in yet :cry:
That is really strange, but some of my males is also afraid of their own caves too. I hate to tell you this, but their cowardise don't attract any female. It's the ones that stay in their cave even when you pick it up that gets the females. I have the same problem with my Hypancistrus Inspectors. Only one of the males go in the cave. However, everytime I feed, he runs away. The only time I succeed in getting them to breed was when my plants over grow and block the cave entrance. That caused the male to stay in the cave long enough to attract a female and that was the only time my H. Inspector breed.
Also, check to see if your cave is not to big or small.

Good luck.
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

well.... we've had our mature zebs a year now... started with 5 - got a 6th,
Sold our alpha male as he was causing problems...

Then a little non published loss took us down to 4. (3 of the originals and the new one).

Well - this morning we were rewarded with our perseverance.
After being neglected for about 8 weeks (one tap water change in that time) - we have our first spawn!
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]