Paypal Cookies on the Site

How can we improve this forum, and the site as a whole?
TwoTankAmin

Paypal Cookies on the Site

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I am one of those nuts who is a bug about security and privacy issues. I clean out cokkies etc. regularly and also have my security settings set to prompt before allowing cookies.

Every time a new page loads on this site it tries to put a Paypal cookie on my PC. Even thought I am a Paypal user, I do not want their cookie parked on my pc. The only way I can stop the constant force feeding attempts is to tell my pc to block Paypal. That means when I need to use my Paypal account, I have to go in and remove the block.

How much of an annual donation would be required to induce this site to give up the Paypal stuff?
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Pete
Obsessed!!

Post by Pete »

Firefox lets you specify that only the originating site can set cookies. Right now, Firefox is telling me that ZebraPleco.com has only set cookies related to ZebraPleco.com
It's not an illusion, it just looks like one.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Twotank

As far as I am aware the site should not induce a "Paypal" cookie.

The forum invokes a cookie that is used to identify last visits etc, byt nothingto do with paypal.

I will have a look into it, and if it does, I will try and stop it from happening.

thanks for bringing this to my attention.

regards

rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Ok it would appear that when the index page loads, it promts the following cookis to be created.

zebrapleco.com
statcounter.com

and as pointed out.

paypal.com.

The paypal cookie appears to be intermittent, and only on a few of the pages. I see no reason for it to be there so I will check it out.

thanks

rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Pete
Obsessed!!

Prolly..

Post by Pete »

..from the Make a Donation icon..?
I'd hazard a guess that if you take a copy of the icon (or just make your own) instead of sourcing the icon from the PayPal site, then the problem will go away.
It's not an illusion, it just looks like one.
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Thanks Rob, I really appreciate it. I am just a nut about security and being watched and probably a bit paranoid too. At the rate they are putting those cameras all over the place for security reasons I may be forced to buy one of those disguise kits next :p
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.