Great News or not....

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
twinspots_goby
Obsessed!!

Great News or not....

Post by twinspots_goby »

Hi. I need some advice. In these 4 days, my alpha male tracked one in his cave and they've been together for 4 days except dinner time. However when I took a close look at the one, I thought it's a male. Can two males stay in one cave together peacefully for that long? Have it happened to any of you before? Or I'm making a mistake and the trakced one is a female.
Another thing is about their size difference. My alpha male is about 4inch. but the tracked one is less than 3 inch. Even though it's a female, is it considered a mature size?
Any expert oppinion? I appreciate you all.
L46 x 24 adults + 60 fries
alga
Groupie

Post by alga »

1). Never believe the "rules"
2). Males USUALLY do not spend a bunch of time together tin the same cave
3). I had a 2.5 inch female visit the males cave on and off for 2 months before finally laying eggs.
4). my two "males", according to "everyone", lay fertile eggs every 35 days

Basically let them be and they will figure it out. Sounds to me as if you have a pair... any pictures?
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Alga is right...if the two are sharing the cave then it's almost definitely a male and female.

Of course they may just be practising as it were, sometimes it takes them a couple of goes too get it right....but keep and eye on them, without stressing them out and you'll probbaly have some eggs appear in the cave soon enough. It sounds like you almost there so keep it up and good luck! :D
twinspots_goby
Obsessed!!

Post by twinspots_goby »

Plastic Mac wrote:Alga is right...if the two are sharing the cave then it's almost definitely a male and female.

Of course they may just be practising as it were, sometimes it takes them a couple of goes too get it right....but keep and eye on them, without stressing them out and you'll probbaly have some eggs appear in the cave soon enough. It sounds like you almost there so keep it up and good luck! :D
Thanks. I'll let you guys know if there is something new.
L46 x 24 adults + 60 fries