My first time......................

Hmmm...what else can I say!
fatman76

My first time......................

Post by fatman76 »

Hi folks, I have only recently taken to the hobby of keeping tropical fish, my only problem is that everytime I go to buy some fish I end up with a pleco. I know, and my girlfriend keeps on pointing to alll these amazing different and beautiful fish but none of them can compete when i look into the tank and see the amazing form of the pleco and this forum is all about the Holy Grail of plecos the Zebra, how could i fail to join. How is everyone doing today?? and is there anyone else from Scotland?
Desperately seeking a Zebra
zebrastorey
Obsessed!!

Post by zebrastorey »

Hi fatman76 welcome to the forums :D
and is there anyone else from Scotland?
If you are after zebras you are in the right place there seems to be more zebra plecos in Scotland than there are in brazil! :wink:
madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Post by madmoroccan »

i second that.
[img]http://www.geocities.com/madmoroccan/zebcam.jpg[/img]
fatman76

Post by fatman76 »

Good to here from you guys, and that is amazing news about The Zeb prospering in Scotland. I was in a few aquariums in Paisley Road West in Glasgow at the weekend and I was getting quoted CRAZY prices for them up to £100 and shop one owner even told me that i stood no chance of ever getting one and that I should just not bother trying in a very crass way. And guess what the very next day I find this website and it turns out that I stand a better chance than most of finding this beautiful fish. You guys have made me very happy.
madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Post by madmoroccan »

unfortunately, the price of 100gbp is "cheap"... Some people are selling at 150gbp...

I strongly advocate cheaper prices. But by the looks of things... it may never happen, even here. I speak from experience. Your best bet is to start saving... AND do some research into their habits.

Did you know that they don't eat algae?

And that they should be kept in a species only tank if you want to increase the chances of them breeding?

If you really want some, a forum regular is selling a group in your neck of the woods... Look in the for sale section, You're looking for the post by Hamish.
fatman76

Post by fatman76 »

thanks for that mate, I have had a look at the for sale section already and it looks as though I have egg on my face about the prices i was quoted. I was talking to a guy i met at the car boot sale i go to and he was telling me the prices were about £50 for one and the price was coming down.
I know they are not algae eaters they are carnivores like the snowballs I have done a bit of research about them but not loads, i actually came across them when I was researching my albino pleco. Looks as though I will have to do a lot more research.
madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Post by madmoroccan »

Don't worry mate, I don't claim to be an expert either... :)

Who said that "the only thing I know for sure is that I know nothing"?

Anyhow... get me a zebra plec for 50 pounds and I will love you for life! It's unlikely... You only have to look on the forum, ebay, aquarist classified ect... to realise that prices are far from stabilizing... in fact they appear to be going up not down.

Shame that! I would buy thousands of the little buggers if they were 10 pounds each... Still, I can dream.