Heating for 6ft tank.

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

Adam

Heating for 6ft tank.

Post by Adam »

I have a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft tank located in my garage that I am thinking of setting up for my adult zebras. Filteration will be provided by 2 Eheim 2260s and a custom made trickle filter. The garage is not heated but is insulated, I currently have a four foot tank in there that is up and running.

My question is this, how many heaters will I need to maintain a constant stable temperature. I have 3 300 watt heaters, will this be enough? Considering that the 4ft tank requires 2 heaters I don't think this will be enough for the heat loving zebras.

Can anyone think of any alternative heating solutions?
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Adam I know that sounds like a great idea for giving them additional room, but the loss of power out there will be pretty much a death sentence in the winter. You really willing to risk that? Or planning to buy a generator?

I have 8 zebras happily living and spawning in a 40 gallon long tank. I do commisserate with wanting to give them the best conditions possible, but you couldn't make me take that kind of a risk with my zebras. Then again, I tend to have the worst luck sometimes, and things that could possibly go wrong, do!

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Adam

Post by Adam »

Another reason for putting the adult zebras in the garage is that I have 2 young children who like nothing better than crashing around the house. Perhaps in the garage the zebras will get some peace and quiet and be able to get down to the business of breeding without any interuptions.

It is risky as you say Barbie, a power cut is sure to spell disaster for the zebras. As you say I would need a generator just to be on the safe side, I think that the risk is too great.

I'm always trying to think of what's best for the zebras but I'm afraid this one is not such a good idea. I was talking to someone recently who has been successful at breeding zebras and he advised a large tank. He said that since moving his zebras from a 4ft to a 6ft he has had twice as many spawns. He even claims to have had 2 males breed at the same time in his tank. I didn't think this would happen once the Alpha male has exerted his dominance.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

I do think it would happen in a 6 foot tank. I was told 2 L260 would never spawn in the same tank, but I've pulled dual spawns from a 55 gallon tank twice now, so it definitely can happen. After seeing the damage that my subdominant male took by my alpha male, I doubt it would happen in a 4 foot tank without some dang good aquascaping.

Got room for tank in your bedroom? Then you could get moonlights and watch the fish while you get ready to sleep and the kids wouldn't be banging into anything? Just an idea! Does your wife REALLY need that armoire anyway? :lol:

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

It probably would depend more on the layout of the tank than the tank size itself..?

I would think that a large tank wouldn't be large enough if the layout didn't allow separate territories to be established. Pure speculation from my side though :D

I had my subdominant male trapping a female in a cave in my 120L, she did think better of it and went to the dominant male after a day in the cave with the sub dominant though!
DasArab
Obsessed!!

Post by DasArab »

I would think 3 300 watt heaters would be enough but I would also add a small heater to the garage just for night time to help keep the chill off, especially at this time of year.

Some thing like this Oil Filled Heater would be a good and safe option.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Thanks for the advice guys. I've pretty much decided that the zebras are not going into the garage, It's just too much of a risk. I'll have to re-negotiate with my Mrs to get a larger tank for indoors. She has sort of agreed to another 4 foot, I'll have to tell her that it has to be a 6ft tank now. I would rather get a new tank than bring the other one indoors as it's quite a few years old and looks a bit tatty.
Well wish me luck. :D