Temperature

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

Briesje
Groupie

Temperature

Post by Briesje »

Yesterday I gave my zebratank new water (refreshing)... I always pull out the thermostat and the filter becoz of the waterlevel...

This morning I woke up (first thing I always do : checking the temperature in my tanks)... I saw I've forgotten to plug the thermostat back in...

The temperature was 20,1°C (68,18°F)...

Is that terrible news??? The zebra's seem fine... They're on the old same place... I hope I was on time to plug it back in...

(Maybe they do think it's rain season now?? Colder and fresh water...)
The zebra's are now almost 2 years old...
Keep on smiling... you never know who'll fall in love with your smile...
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Lol, I've done that a couple of times....and like you I only ever notice the next morning, at which point complete panic sets in :D I hate having to do anything in the morning, let alone start panicking!

Anyway, all my zebs are fine from the once or twice I've accidentally left the heater off...so I wouldn't worry to much, just make sure you don't do it again! :D
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Might even set off a spawn ;)
Alistair
Obsessed!!

Post by Alistair »

:shock:I would look at raising the heat back up gradually so as not to shock the fish further and as McEve stated, it might induce a spawn as the fish think that they have been deluged with cool flood water.
Briesje
Groupie

Post by Briesje »

everything is fine with the trio :) the ladies are swimming, the male into the cave (although if the sexing is OK)... later on I'll post some pics to sex...

I'm relieved :) The temperature is now 26,6° C (79,9°F - 299,75 °K)again... the standard temperature they used to be in...

Is that a good temperature? :)
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

That's way too cold for zebras, IMO. I keep mine at 86 degrees normally, with raises to 90 when I'm trying to get them in condition. I only lower it to 84 when I'm simulating the rainy season (mind you, the RO takes it down to 78 or so then heaters bring it back up to the 84).

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Briesje
Groupie

Post by Briesje »

I've changed it in little bits... The temperature is now stable : 28,3°C (83 °K)

I read @ Planet Catfisch that they do live at temperatures from 26°C - 30°C (78,8°K - 89°K)