Zebra exports banned.

Whats happening in the wild, current issues and debates....oooh this one'll get hot!

Fishnut2
Groupie

Post by Fishnut2 »

The lastest update from my source is that they are having record breaking rainfall in the Altimira (collection area) right now. The Xingu river is flooded and there will be no collection for the next few weeks. On the brighter side...that means that spawning season has started, and hopefully, the dwindling numbers of zebras will start to make a recovery.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Does this mean that they are indeed still collecting, when they can? If this is so, then Is this because the exporters belive the ban will be cancelled in the not so far future?

More speculations from my side, I realize it's not so easy to answer this question...
Fishnut2
Groupie

Post by Fishnut2 »

McEve,
The best I can tell you, is what's in my earlier post. I know it sounds a little crazy (a new person in charge) but I trust my source enough to take the heat if the information is wrong! I appreciate the fact that nobody has gone off on me so far :wink: It's a controverstial issue right now, and I'm just repeating what I learned, to the best of my ability. I think everyone has thier fingers crossed (means good luck in the USA) in hopes that what I posted is correct.
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi,

Here is a link about What is happening in Brazil from the Fishfinder website.
http://www.tropicalfishfinder.co.uk/new ... asp?id=417

Regards,
Des.
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

i spoke to a LFS yesterday, and she said that the L46 has not been banned and is far too readly avalible to be banned. lol what a load of crap ! oh yeah and she said the brazilian goverment will never ban them as they are too much income for them! what is this person on!
Adam

Post by Adam »

Good link Des, nothing much appears to have changed with the situation in Brazil since I was last on the TFF site. I guess this is something that is not going to be resolved quickly, looks like the availability of other L nos is also being affected. I've been looking for some Baryancistrus, not fussed which type, since my last one snuffed it last year and I can't seem to find any good fish. Not had much luck with gold nuggets over the years, they just seem to die on me. Some times within days of being purchased.

Shell, There certainly is a lot of duff information floating around out there must admit I've been caught out a couple of times. Sounds like you came across someone who just doesn't have the first clue about the current situation. Current importation ban aside, zebras were never that easy to get even when they were "readily" available, of the 5 LFSs local to me only one has consistently stocked zebras over the years. Then again maybe this situation was just peculiar to me.
LyreTail
Obsessed!!

Post by LyreTail »

Fishnut - "Hypancistrus" is the genus of L46 as well as many other small plecos like the Queen Arabesque . The species of L46 is "zebra". As far as I know the Genus Hypancistrus is fairly new when all these fish used to be in the Peckolita genus. Peckolita was a real mess, so the new genera do help in classing some of these fish.

Seems strange to build a dam, pretty much destroying all habitat and then call them endangered
19wiggles86
Groupie

Post by 19wiggles86 »

So does this mean that the zebras aren't yet on the CITES list?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

19wiggles86 wrote:So does this mean that the zebras aren't yet on the CITES list?
they've been on the CITES list for a long time as far as I understand, from jan 1. 2005 I believe

Edit:
Sorry, wrong info. The export ban was enforced the 1.jan 2005 - IBAMA, which is the organisation who controls all export of fish from Brasil enforced the ban.

They are not on the Cites list yet.
Last edited by McEve on Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
19wiggles86
Groupie

Post by 19wiggles86 »

does this mean that they can't be shipped from Canada to the UK?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

no. As far as I know there's only an export ban from Brasil to the rest of the world.

Here's the CITES database btw:
http://www.cites.org/eng/resources/species.html
19wiggles86
Groupie

Post by 19wiggles86 »

Thanks McEve, I've been talking to someone who is selling zebras in Canada but is saying that he cannot ship them to Britain because they are CITES fish and this means that they shouldn't technically be shipped over the border. I was just confused, thanks for your help.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

There's a lot of confution surrounding this issue, as there are so many different organizations to relate too. There's a "Red list" also, and I believe Zebra is on that one, but this list is not enforced in the same way as a CITES-listing would be. Countries world wide have an agreement to follow the latter in a much stricter way than the red list.

Still, part from the regulation that controls import/export of any aquarium fish, there shouldn't be any further rules regarding Zebra - from Canada to the UK, as far as I know.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Wiggles and welcome to the forum by the way. :D

To the best of my knowledge H. Zebra has not yet been given CITES protection, apparently it can take quite a while for a species to be officially protected on a global scale. I'm guessing here but I would imagine that various studies have to be conducted first and that the findings of these are then considered. What we have at present is that they have been placed on a "red list" of species which prevents anymore being taken from the wild. This does not prevent the export/import of fish that are already in captivity even if they were originally wild caught. Given time they may well end up being a protected species under CITES. Were this to happen various certification will be required for even the export of captive bred fish, breeders may well have to obtain official accreditation in order that captive bred fish can be sold on.

Regards.

Adam
briankchung
Forum Follower

Post by briankchung »

Yeah I agree with adam,if zebs are CITES appendex 1 we need a permit to own the fish. appendex 2 you can deal with captive breed.What I heard from my LFS in Hong Kong is heavy fine on brazilian exporters if they get caught with the fish......