Zebra Pleco fan since '92 from Texas

Hmmm...what else can I say!
Andyt.
Groupie

Zebra Pleco fan since '92 from Texas

Post by Andyt. »

The first Zebra Plecos I saw were in a store I worked in in 1992. I bought a Zebra and a Gold Nugget and both died within days. Per the recommendations of our fish wholesaler I had put them in a low flow aquarium. We had been told that they came from quiet rivers in Brasil with low flow and were very shy. I learned through painful trial and error that they needed a lot of flow and a lot of oxygen.

My last Zebra pleco was about 10 years old and died a few weeks ago (curiously my Gold Nugget pleco who was also about ten years old died a month or so later). I started looking for more and learned to my shock that I could not get Zebra plecos anymore!

I work for a manufacturer of aquarium chemicals (we do private label for other brands so I can't say who I work for) and assumed that with my connections in the fish industry it would be easy to find a Zebra.

I was very, very wrong. I could not find Zebra plecos anywhere and am still looking.

Having learned about the plight of the Zebra pleco and the possibility of the construction of the Belo Monte dam project, I am interested in breeding these beautiful fish so that they are not lost.
Our problem is not that the world lacks magic. Our problem is that we don't believe in its magic.
~Marianne Williamson
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Hiya Andy, welcome to the board!

I was actually just in Dallas a few weeks ago at the TCA Convention, giving a talk on Spawning Loricariidae. There is a gentleman there spawning zebras, so at least it should be possible for you to get fry at some point. I'll forward your post to him and maybe he can put you on his waiting list :).

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Andyt.
Groupie

Wow and Thank you!

Post by Andyt. »

I saw your reply to someone else that you had been in town and I am sorry I missed that presentation.
Our problem is not that the world lacks magic. Our problem is that we don't believe in its magic.
~Marianne Williamson
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Andyt

Welcome to the site and sorry to hear about your Gold Nugget and Zebra.

They are definately not the easiest fish to get hold of, but you have definately joined the right forum to find some. Keep an eye on the Sales and wants section.

I hope you find the place friendly and informative.

Thanks for joining us.

rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Briesje
Groupie

Post by Briesje »

welcome...

do post your information :) ... we love to learn from eachother...
Keep on smiling... you never know who'll fall in love with your smile...