What's wrong with my baby?

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

McEve
Hypan-guru!

What's wrong with my baby?

Post by McEve »

What is this..?
Adam

Post by Adam »

It looks like it could be dropsy, usually caused by bacterial infection. Are the scales on the affected fish raised?

I've heard that keeping affected fish in a mild salt solution can alleviate this problem, apparently it reduces osmotic pressure by drawing the excess fluid out of the fish. I'm not sure of what dose is required.

I hope (s)he pulls through.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

not that I can see, but Zebras don't have scales do they...

Is it contagious?

here's from above

Last edited by McEve on Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

McEve the two times I've had that happen in my L260 it was fatal. In my case, the inlet hose I was using to keep fresh, oxygenated water in my rearing containers had come loose and the fry were oxygen deprived. I lost both of mine. I sure hope you have better luck with yours!

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

It can't be lack of oxygen, the diffuser is going flat out, and the test is showing the amount of oxygen to be very good...

Could it be constipation? it doesn't look like food in there though, more like he's full of water, like a giant blister.
Adam

Post by Adam »

You're right they don't, but do the plates covering the fish appear to be raised. If you look at the fish from above you'll be able to tell.

Dropsy, if that's what it is, is not generally considered to be contagious however the affected fish should be isolated as a precaution. In the event that it dies the infection could be spread by other fish cannibalising the body.

I'm afraid that it's not good news McEve this condition is usually fatal. The bloating is caused by kidney failure, the fish is nolonger able to regulate the amount of water entering it's body.

I found some info on the salt dosage 1 tea spoon per gallon. The use of Interpet Anti Internal Bacteria or Waterlife's Octozin may also help.

Good luck.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Adam wrote: I found some info on the salt dosage 1 tea spoon per gallon. The use of Interpet Anti Internal Bacteria and Waterlife's Octozin may also help.

Good luck.
The 3 liter gallon or the 4 liter gallon?
Adam

Post by Adam »

4.55 Litre UK gallon.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Thanks Adam. Forgive me for giving short answers - I'm running back and forth between the computer and the baby now. I apreciate you taking the time!
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

I've had the same with on emy fry, and unfortunately it didn't survive. At first I thought it could have been blcked intestines, which lead to an infection, but I'm really not sure.
:cry:

All I can suggest is the salt solution , but take care, if it survives, to reduce the salt concentration very gradually as the zebras seem to have problems re-acclimatising.

good luck

rob
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

How long do I leave him in there? Oh my... this is so sad :( I'm sure it's the same one that was out all day eating and showing off like nothing was wrong. or maybe that's just it, maybe he was hyperactive because something was indeed wrong.

the rest looks healthy so far though.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Try not to worry about the other fry at the moment Mceve. It could just be an abnormality with the single fish that has led to inability to regulate the water intake.

Be prepared for a long wait however, my fry hung on in there for about 1 week. You never know, the salt solution might just do the trick.

rob
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Thanks Rob.

Should I leave the fry in the salt solution for as long as it takes, or do I take him out after a certain amount of time?
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

I should imagine if it is going to work, then you should notice a difference within a couple of days. Has this happened very suddenly, or has it been getting gradually worse.

rob
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

It happened within hours, unless he's been hiding somewhere of course. I keep a close eye on them, but it's impossible to see all individuals all the time.

I have these ones on a webcam as well, keeping them in a window at the bottom of my monitor all the time.

BTW, The adress