Hey Everyone

Hmmm...what else can I say!
ProudToBeAScotsGirl

Hey Everyone

Post by ProudToBeAScotsGirl »

Hi,

I can't believe I went from seeing a picture of a Zebra Pleco in a book at the pet shop I work at to finding an entire forum dedicated to them! I'll be honest, I never liked Plecos. At my shop, I coulden't figure out why people wanted these strange, sometimes ugly little fish. Then by chance, I saw a Zebra Pleco in a tropical fish book. Wow, I was blown away. I became dead set to get one, but after finding out their current status in the pet trade, I was awefuly discourage. It looks that, by odds, I wont be able to get one. I really want one, but I can't imagine having as much as $200 ready to spend on a fish that I am scared I will have a stupid accadent with and kill.

Mind you, I know a lot about fish care. I plan to keep seahorses, just to give you an idea of my knowledge level in water care and equipment awareness and all that. But I really coulden't spend that much on a fish that I have no experience with. It really gets me down...but who knows, maybe an opportunity will arise someday. I would spend as much as $50 max, still a bit much for a fish I could make a stupid mistake with, but it would be worth such a beautiful little fellow!

Well, I supose that's it really. Mind if I ask a few newb-to-zeb questions real quick? I'll probably find them after I read through some posts, but if you guys don't mind, here they are:

-What is the minimum aquarium size for a Zebra?
-Are they delicate, hardy, or inbetween?
-Are they difficult or easy to breed?
-Is it a fun hobby breeding them? Or loads of work over your heads most of the time?

I guess, knowing they are expensive, I woulden't mind giving breeding them a shot if I can obtain a pair. I mean, why not? It would help out the zebs, and give me something to be proud of. I'll be breeding seahorses as well, so im sure i'll be dishing out the nursery tanks. :roll:

Well, I really appreciate any replies to come. It's wonderful to see you all here, and who knows, maybe i'll be fortunate enough to join you guys in a zebra-breeding quest! :wink:
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Welcome ProudToBeAScotsGirl
:D
I'll be honest, I never liked Plecos. At my shop, I coulden't figure out why people wanted these strange, sometimes ugly little fish.
:shock: You should be ashamed of yourself! :D ...obviously we (or more than likely, I) shall have to educate you in the hidden beauty of the pleco. :D Btw, there are many more beautiful pleco's than just the zebra.

Anyway welcome to the forums ..<sarcasm>if you're lucky you might find another Scot or two round here</sarcasm> .... As for breeding them (not the Scots, we have enough of them already), yes they are expensive but don't let that put you off attempting to breed them, they are after all quite hardy..and if you can keep marine fish alive, with their requirements then keeping pleco's alive should pose no problems at all.

As for being able to get hold of some...you're probably in the best place to find them. One of the reasons zebra's are so rare in Brazil is nearly all of them now live in and around Scotland now. Well, they do if you go by these forums anyway. :D

Enjoy, and hopefully you'll find lots of useful information here which will lure you into zebra breeding and enlighten you to the beauty of the humble pleco.

Plastic Mac
Last edited by Plastic Mac on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

Plastic Mac wrote: As for being able to get hold of some...you're probably in the best place to find them. One of the reasons zebra's are so rare in Brazil is nearly all of them now live in and around Scotland now. Well, they do if you go by these forums anyway. :D Plastic Mac
lol lol lol :lol:

welcome
ProudToBeAScotsGirl

Really? I had no idea they were hardy! I have a lot less to worry about now, awesome! :D Are they really that available in Scotland? That's wonderful too!

Would a pair do well in a 97 litre aquarium?

Going from what I have looked through so far, is it really as simple as giving them a variety of caves, keeping water quality to the max with good flow, and watching for wee orange eggs?

Also, would they (just being 100% sure) be compatable with female bettas, apple snails and little cleaner shrimp? More importantly I supose, is there any risk of the female bettas, snails or shrimp eating the eggs or fry? Or would daddy do a good job protecting them?

Will have more questions to come I am sure, but I better focus on getting to Scotland first, then getting the aquarium, THEN I can start the zebra hunt. Thanks everyone. :wink:
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Really? I had no idea they were hardy! I have a lot less to worry about now, awesome! Are they really that available in Scotland? That's wonderful too!
Yeah they are pretty hardy....but if you intend to breed them, you'll need to care for them as though they're not hardy but quite sensitive.
As for being available in Scotland...I was kinda jesting, sort of. There are quite a few breeders up that way....maybe when one of then has any for sale you might get lucky. Other than that just keep an eye out here becuase if there's any for sale, even if they're not being sold on this site they'll still nearly always be mentioned here.
Would a pair do well in a 97 litre aquarium?

Going from what I have looked through so far, is it really as simple as giving them a variety of caves, keeping water quality to the max with good flow, and watching for wee orange eggs?
A 97 litre aquarium would be fine for two imo. However to be successful at breeding them I'd think you'd need a minimum of 6. I'm still not sure why but males seem to me much common than females and sexing isn't easy until adulthood.
In principle it's as easy as you state, plus good variety of food. However the principal of what should happen isn't generally what does happen, otherwise this forum would be full of people patting each other on the back and making large sums of cash....we're not, well, not me anyway :D
It would seem there are some basic principals which need to be adhered to if you want to be succesful at breeding them but after that, it's kind of everyone for themselves in as much as, what works for one doesn't necessarily work for someone else....hence why we have this forum so we can share new ideas and problems and try them out.
Also, would they (just being 100% sure) be compatable with female bettas, apple snails and little cleaner shrimp? More importantly I supose, is there any risk of the female bettas, snails or shrimp eating the eggs or fry? Or would daddy do a good job protecting them?
If you want to breed them, then the general consensus seems to be, have them in a tank by themselves. The last thing you want is to spend large sums of cash buying zebs...spend months conditioning them to finally see them spawn and then one day find a four quid female betta has eaten some very expensive and rare eggs. Having said that, a few people here are trying cherry shrimps which seem to be pretty good tank companions....I'll wait until everyone has given their opinion on them before getting some :D ..There are other people here though that do keep some other fish with their zebs without issue....so it is possible. As for the Snails...it very mcuh depends on which variety you have (and I've no idea whether apple snails are good or not...you'll have to wait for Rob, Barbie or McEve to answer that no doubt) in your tank...the only ones which seem to be recommended are Malaysian trumpet snails.

If you do have any more questions, have a trawl through the forums...you'll no doubt find the answers to any questions you have at the moment. :D

Good luck finding some.

Plastic Mac
ProudToBeAScotsGirl

Ah! I thought you were serious about there being a fair number of zebras in Scotland because I had read a couple of posts where some were for sale up there. Also had the impression a fair number of you guys are in Scotland as well. Silly me. :roll:

Well, I do love the idea of breeding them, but I don't think I want to start off with a big operation. I prefer easing into things, starting with one aquarium and working my way towards whatever setup comes. And my idea for easing into this project is to start out with a pair in an aquarium with female bettas and the apple snail pair as well. If by chance they breed for me there, then that's great. Otherwise, i'll look into getting them their own aquarium. And of course, should I be fortunate enough to have baby zebras, that's when i'll be investing in the nursery.

It just so happens, knowing me, I tend to jump right into big projects. That results is me getting overwhelmed, and possibly getting frustrated, then even losing interest. So, I take things slow now, and it helps a lot. So, as long as the critters I am keeping with the future pair I hope to find will get along, then i'll be quite happy.

The reason for the apple snails is I hope to breed them as well. Im a bit of a snail nut, and it turns out there is a purple variety of them through selective breeding. No plans on breeding the bettas though, I just love them. haha. And I shall look into cherry shrimp, I am not very familiar with the freshwater variety, just the marines. I might skip them all together, as I feel they have the best chance at going after the eggs, being scavengers and all. I think the snails wont do much harm, being the size of golf balls full grown, they might not even be able to fit into the zebra's cave. And the bettas, I supose a freak chance is there, but I can't imagine them bothering with snooping into the cave for a snack. By odds, the pleco would be in and out so much (even more so with eggs) that I think they would be safe. I think the fact that they breed in a cave is what could make my setup possible. And now that I really think about it, could a betta's tiny mouth even manage a zebra egg?

I do understand if I want to seriously breed these fish and snails I should be getting them in their own aquariums and working toward matching the water to their specific needs. But, just to ease into things and get a feel for the fish, this aquarium idea is what I would like to start with. Then later I will update my setup as things come. I mean, after all, they would still be my pets as well. Can't forget that!

I just hope I can find a pair in Scotland, possibly for a reasonable price, I will keep in touch with this forum if by chance an opportunity arises! :D
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Welcome to the forum ProudToBeAScotsGirl.

Before we go any further I should point out that yes, it is true, I am a Scotsman, and yes I live in Scotland.. and yes it is possibly the finest place on the planet to live. As for Plastic Mac saying:
not the Scots, we have enough of them already
He's just bitter about Scotland beating England in the rugby a few weeks back!!! :lol: :lol:

I wish I could say that we were home the majority of Zebras worldwide but unfortunately we have a bad habit of spending our money on booze as opposed to fish!!!!

Anyway... getting back to business. The delightful Mr Mac has answered the majority of your questions. SO I do not have a huge amount to add. Like he said however I would advice away from keeping the zebras with anything else apart from the odd shrimp or red-horn snail. I have no doubt at all that the apple snails would quite happily chomp on the odd egg or fry if given half the chance.

The Cherry Red Shrimps however seem to be a good idea. I have just got myself some and plan on introducing a few to one of my tanks after their quarantine.
:wink:

Anyway... I'd better get some more work done.

Where are you just now if you are not in Scotland till may?

Have fun!

Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
ProudToBeAScotsGirl

Rob wrote:Welcome to the forum ProudToBeAScotsGirl.

Before we go any further I should point out that yes, it is true, I am a Scotsman, and yes I live in Scotland.. and yes it is possibly the finest place on the planet to live. As for Plastic Mac saying:
not the Scots, we have enough of them already
He's just bitter about Scotland beating England in the rugby a few weeks back!!! :lol: :lol:
Hey! Nice to meet a Scot who loves his country, I do worry that is slowly being lost. I wondered why he made that comment, glad I didn't comment back. lol.
I wish I could say that we were home the majority of Zebras worldwide but unfortunately we have a bad habit of spending our money on booze as opposed to fish!!!!
Haha, well hey, look on the bright side. At least that helps keep the hobby under control. :wink: Ive spoken to everyone from Seahorse Keepers to well...Zebra Pleco keepers to name another big exotic. It's all the same "it started with one aquarium." :roll:
Anyway... getting back to business. The delightful Mr Mac has answered the majority of your questions. SO I do not have a huge amount to add. Like he said however I would advice away from keeping the zebras with anything else apart from the odd shrimp or red-horn snail. I have no doubt at all that the apple snails would quite happily chomp on the odd egg or fry if given half the chance.
Really? Aww darn. I have changed my mind so many times, trying to come up with the perfect freshwater aquarium for myself. I thought I struck gold here, but looks like yet again, there's a flaw in the plan. *sigh* But hey, im not someone to ignore advice. Mind you, sometimes I am determined to prove otherwise. But only when I am confident I will succeed, and have the knowledge to take on the challenge. In this case, im willing to accept your advice from your experience.
The Cherry Red Shrimps however seem to be a good idea. I have just got myself some and plan on introducing a few to one of my tanks after their quarantine.
:wink:
I looked up a picture of the Cherry Shrimp, pretty little things! I am set on some now. :wink: How much did yours cost? And what shop did you find them at? The only aquatic shop I know of in Scotland is a shop called Ultimate Discount Aquatics. They seem good, they even quarentine their stock before adding to the display aquariums apparently. Now THAT'S a nice change!
Anyway... I'd better get some more work done.

Where are you just now if you are not in Scotland till may?

Have fun!

Rob
I am in America right now, it's actually my birthplace and nationality. But my boyfriend is Scottish (born and bred!) and I am moving over to live with him. I love Scotland, and I hope I don't come off as the typical American obsessed with Scotland-type. I began to love Scotland through my boyfriend, it's a great place, and I can't wait to start my life there. I am moving there May 21st, and can't wait! :D

This aquarium will be my first project once I am over, I already have a male Betta named Hamish. He needs a proper aquarium, so I am buying that 97 litre aquarium for him, with hopes of adding just a few other small fish. I had planned to add two purple apple snails from snailshop.co.uk, then a zebra pleco (or pair if I am lucky)

:!: Hey! I got it! Why don't I start off with one Zebra baby? Maybe someone on this board will be kind enough to sell me a baby. I could raise him or her up, knowing they take quite some time to grow, and when they reach adulthood I could find him/her a mate. By then, I am SURE i'll be ready for a breeding project. Perfect! What do you guys think? :D :D :D
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

He's just bitter about Scotland beating England in the rugby a few weeks back!!!
Everyone is entitled to an off-day once in a while. :D ..anyway we're were saving ourslves for France this weekend...some proper competition :D
Hey! I got it! Why don't I start off with one Zebra baby? Maybe someone on this board will be kind enough to sell me a baby. I could raise him or her up, knowing they take quite some time to grow, and when they reach adulthood I could find him/her a mate. By then, I am SURE i'll be ready for a breeding project. Perfect! What do you guys think?
That's a fine idea, as long as you are aware that baby zebra's take a long time to reach adult hood....if you're in no rush then fine, otherwise you may find yourself getting impatient.
If I can give my opinion, that fact you're in no real rush is a good thing because it's not like you can just walk into a LFS and pick some up( well most of the time you can't). When you get round to wanting to purchse one or some,...you'll find you'll need to keep your eyes open and wait. When one does come up you'll have to decide whether the cost is worth it and whether you willing to travel that far (if that's the case). So in your position with your patience you can pick and choose which sales you want to pursue...hence I wouldn't start planning on whether you want a baby or an adult or one or three or whatever because if you get that specific about what stage of zeb you want you could be waiting years...just wait till the oppotunity arises to aquire some and see how you feel then.

Plastic Mac = Proud Englishman = Rugby World Cup Winners :D
ProudToBeAScotsGirl

Plastic Mac wrote:That's a fine idea, as long as you are aware that baby zebra's take a long time to reach adult hood....if you're in no rush then fine, otherwise you may find yourself getting impatient.
If I can give my opinion, that fact you're in no real rush is a good thing because it's not like you can just walk into a LFS and pick some up( well most of the time you can't). When you get round to wanting to purchse one or some,...you'll find you'll need to keep your eyes open and wait. When one does come up you'll have to decide whether the cost is worth it and whether you willing to travel that far (if that's the case). So in your position with your patience you can pick and choose which sales you want to pursue...hence I wouldn't start planning on whether you want a baby or an adult or one or three or whatever because if you get that specific about what stage of zeb you want you could be waiting years...just wait till the oppotunity arises to aquire some and see how you feel then,
Alright, sounds good! The reason I decided on a baby was not only to have more time to decide if I want to breed them (and if I decide to, to get the setup together), but also because I do wonder if there are ever folks breeding them that woulden't mind getting a baby off their hands, with them growing so slow and all. I don't mean they would hand me one for free mind you, haha, yea right! But hey, I will be getting that aquarium together pretty quick one I move to Scotland for my pet Betta Hamish. So, once that is squared away, i'll be hunting the forum for my baby zebra. And you are right, I am in no rush to breed them. Getting a baby will prevent me from rushing into the project as well, it's easy to feel the urge to get a mate for your "beautiful rare fish" when it's an adult. But if it's just a wee fry, your mindset is "he's just a baby, plenty of time."

Also...I am a sucker for baby animals, I love bringing them up. So, a baby zebra would just be a treasure to me. :D

Question: Are Zebras sold at all different ages? Or are they often sold as babys? Or more often adults?
Another Question: Because I am holding off on breeding, and looking to start with just one as a pet and raise it up, will he/she be alright with the female bettas and apple snails? I honestly think so, but try to never assume.