i too have eggs

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
Tariq
Obsessed!!

i too have eggs

Post by Tariq »

my male has been fanning eggs since monday, on sunday i did a big cold waterchange and they might have spawned at night i think.
i can't see very well in the cave becuase its dark inside, but should they have hatched today??and should i leave them in there with 8 other adults??when do they normally leave the cave??
i see on the forum that lots of people are having spawns at the moment.
could this be due to the fact of the rainy season in the amazon??

i hope this batch survives i am thinking of leaving them in the tank,and just feed the adults more so they aint hungry and that they wont eat the small ones,what do you think??
- 10Xadult L-46(4males, 6females)+fry
- 10Xyoung L-46(4-5 cm)
- 5Xyoung L-46(3,5 cm)
-22XDiscus(7breedingpairs)
-1xl260
-20Xcorysterbai
alga
Groupie

Post by alga »

Lots of spawning goin' on. My small female spawned about 10 days ago and my large female just the other day. The males has free swimmers with stripes and an egg mass in with him.

My babies usually stay in the cave a good 3-4 weeks before venturing out at night and then back in the cave during the day. I have only witnessed an adult eating an egg that was kicked out. I've never seen adult/fry aggression.

I have been removing the babies once they start to venture out so I can concentrate food to them. It sure is an exciting time, not sure why everyone is getting spawns but your idea seems plausible.
Tariq
Obsessed!!

Post by Tariq »

thanks alga,
it is now the 7nd day and the male has moved a bit back to the entrance of the cave.does this mean he is making some space for the wriglerss to move???or does this mean that there are no fry??
thanks
- 10Xyoung L-46(4-5 cm)
- 5Xyoung L-46(3,5 cm)
-1xl260
-20Xcorysterbai
alga
Groupie

Post by alga »

It could mean either. 7 days sounds close, depending on your water temperature. My water temp is 81, and between 8-9 days he moves toward the opening of the cave. I think this is done for 2 reasons, first, like you said, to give the wigglers some room and secondly to scavenge for some passing food. I am sure other have different guidelines and thoughts but this is what mine are doing, with eggs and fry in the cave. :D
Tariq
Obsessed!!

Post by Tariq »

i got fry!!!!
i am not sure how much, becuase some of them were in the cave and some were under a cover.
i knew that the male was hiding something.
:D

i will leave them in the tank,
if i am correct the fry are 22 days ,becuase i counted from the day that the male was in the cave fanning the eggs, the day before that he wasnt in the cave yet.
- 10Xyoung L-46(4-5 cm)
- 5Xyoung L-46(3,5 cm)
-1xl260
-20Xcorysterbai
Frontyking
Obsessed!!

Post by Frontyking »

Well done Tariq! Be sure to post some photos of the young.

Nick.
[url=http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=doctorze]Vote for zebrapleco.com here[/url]
Tariq
Obsessed!!

Post by Tariq »

thanx mate :D
i will try to do it this week.
- 10Xyoung L-46(4-5 cm)
- 5Xyoung L-46(3,5 cm)
-1xl260
-20Xcorysterbai
Adam

Post by Adam »

Congrats Tariq!!

All that hard work is starting to pay off now, keep up the good work mate. :wink:

There certainly has been a lot of reported spawns recently. At this rate the price of zebras should be about £10 by June. :lol: :wink:

Adam
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Whe-hey Tariq

Thats fantastic, I'm really pleased for you!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

22 days is a good sign, keep them going and they will be pretty much in the clear. The 3rd week is a tough one!!!!

:wink:
Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Frontyking
Obsessed!!

Post by Frontyking »

Hi Rob,

I'm not too familiar with the survival rate of the fry. Why is it that the 3rd week is a tough one? I'm just trying to absorb as much valuable information from this great website so that when my fish are in the process of breeding(a long way ahead) I know what to look for.

Cheers,

Nick.
[url=http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=doctorze]Vote for zebrapleco.com here[/url]
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi fronty king.

the fry seem, (for some reason) the most vulnerable in weeks 1 and weeks 3. The reasoning behind this we are not too sure, but form the information we get sent from the Register and Stats page, this seems to be the case. The site is in it's early days, but we are hoping to build a database that will help us to identify if there are any occurrences that may contribute to this.

My personal gut feeling is diet. The fry do not feed for the first week of hatching, but in the third week they will have been feeding for some time, possible enough time to pick up a digestive or intestinal problem. (This is however just a guess at present) Unfortunately thats all I have at the moment, but week 4 seems to be a good one!!!! :lol:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Second Rob, I just lost 6 fry within 5 hours, due to what I believe was spoiled frozen food. I gave then frozen BBS, and 5 hours later .. :x

I then noticed that there were ice crystals in the food. This would be an indication of the food having been thawed then frozen again. I assume the others, older fry, also atre from it, but they didn't have any problems. Moral is, they are VERY fragile when first starting to eat....
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Good point McEve.

The third week could be a point where they are starting to increase there food consumption, therefore if it is not perfect it may lead to complications. Once the fry are past the 3-4 week mark they may be able to increase their immunity.

:wink:
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

at what age can fry be moved sold/bought/shipped and what age would it be likly my DPs would be if i got them from a breeder off here
Thebuddy is planning his tank
Tariq
Obsessed!!

Post by Tariq »

thanx everybody!
is it also normal that they hide very good when they are 23 days??becuase yesterday i lifted the cover that hangs over the cave and i saw them shooting away in all different directions,and some were still in the cave.do they come out of there hiding during day when the lights are on??becuase i dont want to lift the cover again i dont want to disturb and stress them too much.
thanx
- 10Xyoung L-46(4-5 cm)
- 5Xyoung L-46(3,5 cm)
-1xl260
-20Xcorysterbai