Digital water testers.

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
DANthirty
Obsessed!!

Post by DANthirty »

Hi Ad

Hope u and fish are well
Yes mate i have already calibrated it quit a few times now as the meter is over 3 years old now, but thankyou for the suggestion, the probe did have a dry spell for over a year when it wasnt being used and i didnt have the plastic cap on it :cry:
so i think it is in need off replacing . but saying that i dont have any major differances in the meter results and my liquid testing results

Also i noticed that they do a conductivity meter in that range does that measure KH or GH?

Also do you know what units the oxygen meter reads in and what is the recomendid level off dissolved oxygen for a zebra tank?
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Dan,

All my fish are doing fine infact some of the zebras are starting to look quite tubby, females perhaps.

Sounds like the probe may not need replacing just yet if the measurements are still matching your liquid test kit results.

From my limited knowledge of conductivity meters, mainly used by marine fishkeepers, measure the electrical resistance produced when an AC current is passed through water. You will then be left with a TDS reading with which you can extrapolate KH and GH readings by using some conversion formulas. Apparently they are good for testing the quality of your RO water so that you know when to replace the membrane.

O2 meters measure in Mg/L(ppm). As a general rule I've heard that you should be looking for an O2 saturation level of 5Mg/L for a tropical freshwater tank. I'm not convinced that this would be enough for the zebras as they come from fast flowing waters that would have a higher O2 level. Having said that the warmer the water the less O2 it is capable of holding. Most of us have our tanks at 29 deg cel, I would say that you should be looking at supplementary aeration if you have a fair number of zebras. Filter bacteria also benefit from good O2 levels in a tank.
sharko
Groupie

Post by sharko »

Visit my home page and sign my guestbook:)